Newbie Question: Aggregating quotes from multiples sources by tag

Greetings friends,

I'm fairly new to Zotero, coming from Citavi, and I'm still trying to find my way around. I successfully completed a project, but I'm trying to understand how to improve my workflow.

Here's where my question comes in: in Citavi, my process was to go through a PDF in Citavi, mark relevant passages and add a tag to it, usually for "Chapter 1 Material", "Chapter 2 Material" and the like, and then when I felt ready to write, I would use the Citavi function to show all "Chapter 1 Material" passages I marked throughout all the PDFs in my collection to write the chapter.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to have Zotero just show me an aggregated list of every passage I added to a specific tag, so I juggled back and forth between multiple PDFs - fine for a small project, but a nightmare for larger projects.

What am I missing? Can someone point me in the right direction? Guidance would be greatly appreciated!
  • +1. I am wondering, if there is any workaround or if this feature is on the roadmap at all. I really enjoy using Zotero, but it seems like it is currently not possible to click on a specific tag and list all passages/lines from every document in your project at a time. Right now, clicking on a tag just highlights tagged files. Then one has to scroll through all the highlights/annotations on a per-file basis, which is quite a cumbersome solution!

Help is indeed highly appreciated!
  • edited August 16, 2024
    Yes, annotations will be shown in the items list in a future version, so it will be possible to match against them directly, create a note from just those annotations, etc.
  • By item list you mean the overview of all the files one has imported into a project?
    In Qualitative Data Analysis apps, there is a button for codes that allows to open lists separately. Adding them to the items list might cause quite some clutter I assume?
    I understand that QDA is not the initial scope of Zotero, nevertheless this is basically the only feature missing to make the program a powerhouse for research - especially in the humanities.
    Therefore, I would also like to ask, if adding a feature to automatically add an indicator or an icon to the annotations/marked quotations, after they have been exported to Word? This would ensure that the created list becomes more organized, if additional highlights/annotations are added to the tagged list afterwards. The user will be able to better differentiate between quotes used in the current project and those that have not been cited in the written text yet.
    Lastly, I would also like to ask, if this is a feature that is already being worked on? I understand the implications of devlopment and that there are many other priorities and focuses. Thank you very, very much for your response and all the best!