DOIs appearing in bibliography but not in citations

edited August 8, 2024
Hello, I've looked at all similar threads on this topic and can't seem to find a solution, so I hope I'm not double posting. I've created a bibliography for my doctoral thesis, the document is set to Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (no DOI) - the footnotes at the end of each page do not show a DOI, but in the bibliography DOIs are appearing - does anyone know why this is happening?

For example, one citation is:
Amitav Acharya, ‘How Ideas Spread: Whose Norms Matter? Norm Localization and Institutional Change in Asian Regionalism’, International Organization 58, no. 2 (April 2004): 239–75.

In the bibliography it appears as:
Acharya, Amitav. ‘How Ideas Spread: Whose Norms Matter? Norm Localization and Institutional Change in Asian Regionalism’. International Organization 58, no. 2 (April 2004): 239–75. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0020818304582024.

How can I stop this from happening? We are specifically instructed not to include DOIs in the bibliography.

Thanks!
  • You'd have to modify the style or use a different one. The Chicago Manual explicitly calls for including DOIs
  • Hi, thanks for your response. The style is specifically called "Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (no DOI)", so I still don't understand why DOIs are appearing in the bibliography and not in the footnotes? Do you know how to modify the style so that both the footnotes and the bib have no DOIs? Thank you !
  • Where is that style from? It's not on the official style repository, so hard to say anything about it. In general, you can probably delete any line that starts with 'text', and contains DOI