Zotero 7 Beta - File Renaming Bug

Hello!

I just encountered this problem in the last week or so. Prior to then it did not do this (but I was traveling for a couple weeks, so it may have cropped up a week or two earlier).

I create a new reference and input the bibliographic information. Then I drag a PDF file from my desktop to that reference to attach it.

When I do this, it does indeed rename the file. If I look at the information on the right-hand information panel under attachment info, the filename is renamed as per the instructions I give Zotero in settings (both the filename designation in that panel and if I go to the file located on my hard drive, both are named properly). However, at the very top of the attachment info panel, Zotero's name for the file is simply PDF. And if I click the arrow on the source to see all attachments, the new PDF is simply called PDF.

So, it seems that file renaming works to actually rename the file, but Zotero's name for the file does not change to match the file renaming.

In settings I have check-marked Automatically rename locally added files, check-marked all the forms (pdf, ebook, etc), and provided a custom filename format. As I said before, prior to the last couple weeks, this always worked for me, i.e. it changed the file's actual filename but also Zotero's name for it in the panels.

Hopefully there is some way to fix this automation. Thus far, I have simply been copying the filename and pasting it into the Zotero name space for it.

Thank you for your help!
  • I have noticed this, too. I prefer my PDF attachments to not be renamed, but Zotero renames all such attachments to "PDF." I wrote a script to rename the attachments according to their filenames. This is a kludgy solution, but I do not mind it too much.
  • I see, so this is a new feature. I see why some people might like this behavior, but I will from now on just manually alter the title of the file. What I tend to do is attach a book, for example, have it named along the file format lines I proscribe, then attach reviews titled “Miller Review” for example. Because I’ve already attached the first file that automatically re-titled itself, the subsequent ones retain the file name from outside of Zotero and make it the title.

Maybe I can write a script to put back in the original behavior. It seems annoying to me that everything will be titled PDF until I manually change it.

Thank you for the explanation!
  • edited August 7, 2024
    But the point is that it's useless information — the metadata that makes up the filename is already shown in the parent item row. The titles of subsequent attachments aren't changed because those are supplementary materials, where the title actually tells you something new. I would strongly encourage you to just give it a try and not incorporate a tedious manual step into your workflow.

(And the "PDF" default title is new, but as explained in the linked documentation, files saved from the web — the main way of saving to Zotero — have always been given simpler titles (e.g., "ScienceDirect Full Text PDF") by default. We just extended that to more situations to cut down on unnecessary clutter in the items list.)
  • It’s not useless to me. I have multiple types of files: books, articles, etc. if I see a pdf file under my entry named with my metadata, I know it’s the right one. If it just says pdf then I need to look to the row above to see if it’s a book or article or dissertation or whatever.

Or the bigger issue, once I open multiple files from multiple entries, they are all called pdf in the tabs, how will I know which one to switch to without going through multiple tabs?
  • edited August 7, 2024
    They're not called "PDF" in the tabs. Tabs use the parent metadata by default.

The "PDF" is just the title of the primary attachment, as shown in the items list, to avoid unnecessary clutter and unnecessary opening of the parent item during searches.
  • Ok, thank you, I’m away from my computer so I couldn’t check it out.