Zotero 7: Laggy all of a sudden

I have the latest update (7.0.0-beta.101+220bb4383 (64-bit)) on Windows 11.

Z7 had been running extremely well on my system--better than Z6, which was sometimes slow to process keystrokes in the note editor (there'd be a lag between typing and the characters appearing onscreen). Z7 worked flawlessly until yesterday. I haven't made any other changes to my system, aside from installing Zettlr and MiKteX.

Various actions within the reader are slow now when reading and annotating an EPUB file: highlights take more than a second to begin to appear onscreen, tracing text (when left-click is depressed); there is a lag between typing and text appearing comments on highlights. Deselecting comments takes a big fraction of a second too, whereas it used to be instantaneous.

There's nothing clear to me about the output of the debug log; I save it and can send it if necessary.
  • Can you reproduce in Troubleshooting Mode (Help → "Restart in Troubleshooting Mode…”), which temporarily disables all plugins?
  • (And you never need to save debug output. All we need here is Debug IDs.)
  • Exactly the same problems; troubleshooting mode did not help. Still hanging/lagging a lot.

I submitted the debug report, D2048315563.
  • Is it a very large EPUB? Does it happen if you close all tabs, restart Zotero, and open some other smaller file? Have you tried restarting your computer?
  • 1. EPUB is 556kb, about 320 pages.
    2. Restarting the computer makes no difference.
    3. I tested the "close all tabs, restart Zotero, open a smaller file." I opened an EPUB with half the page count (before realizing that it is actually a larger file, ~300kb bigger). It was snappy and quick to highlight, comment, etc. Going back to the original EPUB, however, was just as slow as before. If the problem isn't this original EPUB file itself (which I don't know how to check...but it was running fine for weeks while I've been reading this book), perhaps it is the number of annotations I have in the sluggish file: I have dozens and dozens of them, well over hundred I would guess.
  • perhaps it is the number of annotations I have in the sluggish file
    Easy enough to check: Right-click → Show File and drag the EPUB back into Zotero as a new attachment, and then try opening that one (after closing the first one, and possibly restarting Zotero).
  • Yes, there appears to be something to this. The newly-added version is responsive and fast.
  • edited July 17, 2024
    Select the original attachment in question and run this from Tools → Developer → Run JavaScript:

ZoteroPane.getSelectedItems()[0].getAnnotations().length

What's the result?
  • OK, thanks. We'll look into it.
  • This should be addressed in the next beta.
  • @bennett.smith: Can you try beta 103 and let us know if that improves things for you?
  • So far, yes! Thank you!