PDF reader cursor randomly jumps to beginning while typing annotation comments

[Split from Available for beta testing: Zotero, redesigned]

Hi - I am using Zotero 7.0.0(-beta.98+0b3eda5d8 (64-bit)) and a problem has cropped up today. The writing cursor on the native PDF reader randomly jumps to the beginning while typing out comments on annotations. Anyone else facing this issue?
  • edited July 11, 2024
    (Please start new threads for new issues — the thread you posted to isn't related. I've moved this to a new thread.)

Can you provide a Debug ID for reproducing this?
  • I can reproduce:
    Debug ID: D1711587154
    Zotero 7.0.0-beta.98+0b3eda5d8 (64-bit)
    Windows 10
  • edited July 12, 2024
    +1 This was always happening but now it happens every 3-5 seconds and sometimes it's impossible to type even one sentence before the cursor jumps.

Debug ID: D1062515993
    Zotero 7.0.0-beta.98+0b3eda5d8
    MacOS Sonoma 14.5

The intervals between the cursor jumping seem longer after a restart and then they get shorter and shorter until I only type two words before the cursor jumps.
  • well, here with the same problem
  • edited July 13, 2024
    @mjthoraval: Can you explain what that debut output shows? I just see two writes, one to create an annotation and one to enter some text.

@erazlogo: We'd need to see a Debug ID from Troubleshooting Mode (Help → "Restart in Troubleshooting Mode…”), which temporarily disables all plugins. You have constant logging from Actions and Tags in there. Among other things, I'd guess that your Zotero is running much more slowly and/or using much more battery than it should.
  • Yes, the debug ID was showing the creation of an highlight annotation, and then writing some text as comment to the annotation. The cursor was jumping to the start of the comment text multiple times as I was writing.

I cannot reproduce in the beta 99, so I don't know if it has been fixed already, or if I was doing something different.
  • @dstillman I did not experience any cursor jumping in the Troubleshooting mode. I deleted the Actions & Tags plugin--thanks!

I only have Better BibTex and MarkDB Connect plugins left and I need both. If I experience any cursor jumping it is probably Better BibTex and I will let the developer know.

On slowness and battery--I had about 20 tabs open so that may have been the reason in addition to Actions & Tags.
  • Can confirm - no cursor jumping in Troubleshooting mode. Seems Better BibTex is indeed the culprit here. Thank you!
  • If you're sure about that (i.e., the problem goes away when you disable BBT and comes back when you re-enable it), you should report it to the BBT developer on GitHub.