How to translate new strings with functions

In the new strings recently added, there are a few which has a complex syntax, and I'm not sure on how to treat them.

Open {numAttachments, plural, one {{attachmentType, select, pdf {PDF} epub {EPUB} snapshot {Snapshot} other {Attachment}}} other {{attachmentType, select, pdf {PDFs} epub {EPUBs} snapshot {Snapshots} other {Attachments}}}} {openIn, select, tab {in New Tab} window {in New Window} other {}}
For instance, the part between curly braces, like {PDF} should be translated or it's a reference to another strings to get the translation from there?
And the 'Open' in the beginning, should be translated as well?
The key reference of this string is: item-menu-viewAttachment\.label

I have problems understanding also this one:
{PLATFORM(), select, macos {Return} other {Enter}}
Key: return-or-enter
Is it just because the same physical key on the keyboard has different names on MacOs and on PCs? I think I've seen other strings referring to this by a block {return-or-enter}, in those case I have to leave the reference as it is and it'll get the translation from this original string, right?

This one has a similar problem:
{numItems, plural, =0 {No items were imported} one {One item was imported} other {{ numItems } items were imported}}
Key: file-interface-items-were-imported
My guess is to translate underlined text, is this correct?

For this one I have no clue:
{type, select, async {Return value:} other {Result:}}
Key: runJS-result

Thanks, that's it for now, but I'll post more if I find other obscure strings ;-)
  • The first one is this dialog (which has different singular/plural language):
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u2433/cgdrr1qg3aiiehtugwwe.png

(so basically yes to all your questions).

The second one is this (which has different, 0, singular, plural) language:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u2433/semlxg647dewwut4f4ly.png

The third one is this (your translating "Result:" and "Return value:, the latter is shown when you use async mode):
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u2433/nlobzbgvg89dwpmb5d43.png

• Thank you @adamsmith !

Going on with the translation, I've found a string that needs an update: section-related\.label doesn't have the multiple choices in transifex for 1, many, other like notes, attachments, etc. but does need it for other languages like Italian. @dstillman
  • edited June 26, 2024
    We'll fix Related.

And just to note for others, the plural options ("one", "many", "other", etc.) are language-specific, based on the CLDR plural categories. For some strings, Transifex will show a nice little interface for those with the appropriate categories for your language, but for others you'll unfortunately need to edit the markup manually and add the appropriate categories for your language. (We've added some checks on our end to try to catch any errors that are introduced.)
  • @ezellohar: I see this in the translated Italian strings:
    Apri {numAttachments, plural, one {{attachmentType, select, pdf {PDF} epub {EPUB} snapshot {Snapshot} other {Attachment}}} other {{attachmentType, select, pdf {PDFs} epub {EPUBs} snapshot {Snapshots} other {Attachments}}}} {openIn, select, tab {in New Tab} window {in New Window} other {}}
    But that's not fully translated — only "Open" was translated. That will show, for example, "Apri PDF in New Window".
  • @dstillman:
    But that's not fully translated — only "Open" was translated. That will show, for example, "Apri PDF in New Window".
    Oooops. Thanks for checking, I left it behind because I wanted to check a couple things for consistency, but then I forgot. It's fixed now.
  • Hello again, I need pointers for a few more strings, they're from the latest file added 'connector.json':
    Saving 1$1 items. 2$2
    Key: progressWindow_savingItems
    (I cannot figure ouot the 2$2 variable)

Target collection selector
    key: progressWindow_collectionSelector

Saved 1$1 for item 2$2
    key: progressWindow_downloadCompletePlural

Thanks
  • progressWindow_savingItems: Leave the 2$2 where it is - this is a string for screen readers and the 2$2 part gets replaced with the titles of the items being saved.

progressWindow_downloadCompletePlural: 1$1 is the item type, 2$2 is the numeric index of the item that got saved.