Forcing PAGE-scrolling for performance reasons error

Report ID: 1779041844

Trying to open a large .pdf document in Zotero 7 forces "page scrolling" according to the error console. This means that documents opened in the .pdf viewer that are too large have to be clicked through page by page instead of being able to scroll between pages.

Steps to Reproduce:
1) Download .epub document (unknown if related)
2) Convert .epub document to .pdf with Calibre (unknown if related)
3) Attach large .pdf to book citation in Zotero
4) Try to open the attachment, get error "Forcing PAGE-scrolling for performance reasons, given the length of the document." (unknown what makes a .pdf too large, a different file that takes up more disk space works fine)

I expected no issue opening a converted .pdf, it works fine when opened with Firefox. I would like to know if there is an override or something similar to allow regular page scrolling. Thank you!
  • Could you send the problematic file (or upload it somewhere and send the link) to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • (Note that Zotero 7 also supports reading EPUBs natively, without converting them to PDF first.)
  • The same error " Forcing PAGE-scrolling for performance reasons, given the length of the document." happens with the .epub file, and the .epub file loads much slower. The pdf file is smaller storage wise as well.
  • That error comes from PDF.js, which we don't use for anything related to reading EPUBs, so no, it doesn't.
  • I get the same error and effect opening the .epub file. I restarted in troubleshooting mode and it still sent the same error message
  • OK, as @martynas_b said, please email the files (EPUB and PDF) to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • (Or if they're very large, just a name / catalog link / the exact ISBN / some other usable locator will still be helpful.)
  • I'm working on that now, just trying to compress the files enough so I can send via my email client
  • Sent a link to a protondrive copy
  • @MemeAddict314 Thanks for the files. Yes, the newer versions of PDF.js (the underlying PDF viewer used by Zotero and Firefox) force page-by-page scrolling mode, as stated in the warning message. The latest version of Firefox (Nightly) is already doing the same.

You can also use the thumbnails view to overview the pages.
  • 我I upgraded to the latest version of firefox 127.0.2, you can achieve the effect of page scrolling, but not in zotero inside, I can replace the pdf.js file, there is any replacement method!
  • Is there an alternative or a workaround that would allow regular scrolling? This also happens with the epub version of the file as well, not just the pdf (unless the epub viewer is built on the pdf viewer). I similarly to linguiping have page scrolling on Firefox 127.0.2 so is there a way to use whatever viewer that uses with the viewer in Zotero?
  • As I said, no, the EPUB viewer isn't built on the PDF viewer. When viewing an EPUB, View menu -> Scrolled will put it all in one page. This is a gigantic book and it's possible that it will be slow (which is why the PDF viewer doesn't allow you to do that).

If you use a PDF editor to split the PDF into chunks that are less than 10,000 pages each, you'll be able to read them with scrolling, too.
  • Ok, thank you. I'll split up the pdf into chunks