ipad app crashed after update

There was an automatic update of the Zotero app in my ipad (5th generation Air, with iPadOS version 17.5.1). Now when I tried to open a PDF file that I was reading last night, the app crashed.

Thanks for your help.
  • More information: the desktop app (Linux version 6.0.35) and web (zotero.org) have no issue on this particular PDF.
  • Are you getting a Report ID from the app after the crash?

Can you send the PDF in question to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • Since "providing a Report ID isn't currently possible on iOS" based on this instruction (https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems), I submitted a Debug ID D2094669646.

I reproduced the issue in another IOS device: the PDF was readable before the update, but the app crashed after the update.
  • Those instructions aren't relevant. The iOS app should generally give you a Report ID automatically after a crash. Is that not happening?

In any case, we still need the PDF via email.
  • Hi dstillman,

I did not get a Report ID after the crash. How to get a Report ID in ipad?

I sent the PDF file to support@zotero.org. Another interesting data point: in an older ipad which I just updated to iPadOS version 17.5.1 a moment ago, the ipad app has no issue with this particular PDF file.

But the app versions are different:
    - in the newer ipad where the app crashed: version = 1.0.37
    - in the older ipad where the app does not crashed: version = 1.0.31
  • Hello @dualwhizz,

Can you please go to the Settings.app > Privacy & Security > Analytics & Improvements, in your device,
    search for any recent Zotero crash logs, and send them to support@zotero.org, mentioning this thread?

So far, I can open the file without any issue myself, so it might be something particular to your use, e.g. due to the annotations you have added.
  • Hi mvasilak,

I sent the log file to support@zotero.org.

Thanks.
  • edited June 7, 2024
    Your mail server is currently on a spam blocklist, so we didn't receive it. Can you send from a different address?
  • I sent from another email.
  • Hi Zotero team,

I updated to the latest version 1.0.38 release today, but the app still crashed on the PDF files. This happened on all my IOS devices (two iPads and one iPhone 15 pro).

Please take a look into the issue. I have sent the PDF file IOS crash log to support@zotero.org.
  • @dualwhiizz can you please try the latest beta, for a potential fix for your crashing issue? Check here for details https://www.zotero.org/support/beta_builds#zotero_for_ios_beta
  • Hi mvasilak,

Thanks for the link to the beta version. The beta version (1.0.39) opens that particular PDF file without issue now.