[Feature request] Table of Contents for extracted annotations

edited May 15, 2024
Dear all,

I assume many of us use different colors to mark different types of text sections in a PDF. E.g., I personally use blue for level1 headings in a pdf, purple for level2 headings and yellow for ordinary text.

It would be great to have a feature to automatically create a table of contents in the extracted annotations to gain an overview of the extracted sections (e.g. all blue text becomes a level 1 heading in the table of contents and by clicking on it, one can get to the respective extracted text section in the annotations). That would be pretty useful for better navigation in the extracted annotations, especially for extractions from longer PDFs.

Kind regards
Patrick
  • I agree that it would be great to be able to create a table of context; what I already do is to use note templates (https://www.zotero.org/support/note_templates) to automatically format blue annotations as level 1 heading in item notes.
  • Thanks, that's useful! The more I think about it, the more I feel it would be really great to have something like the heading structure in word on the left or right hand side of one's annotations to jump between different extracted section. This would save a lot of time scrolling and searching
  • You only want that only for PDF file where ToC doesn't exist, right?
  • @martynas_b no I'm taking about the notes from annotations file which summarizes annotations made e.g. in a pdf file. It would be awesome to have some navigation ToC on the left or right hand side in the annotation file.