Is this behavior correct?

I just put together my first paper in Zotero by

1. pulling quotes from several articles inside Zotero
2. creating an independent note for the paper
3. creating a rough outline in the note for the paper
4. pulling all relevant quotes from the articles to the outline
5. copy/pasting the rough outline with quotes (and Zotero citations) to Scrivener.
6. But now that I'm ready to transfer the paper to Word to create the proper citations it does not convert the citations appropriately. Instead, all I get after each quote is something like this:

([Hunter, p. 10](zotero://select/library/items/4X8AXIC3)) ([pdf](zotero://open-pdf/library/items/6JD8CL5W?page=10&annotation=N3QEE2FL))

Is there a way to convert this to a proper citation in Word?

I want to be able to go from a rough outline with all my quotes to Scrivner so I can divide it up and work on each section independently, then export to Word (if I have to) or handle the citations directly in Scrivener.

Any thoughts?

Steven
  • There should be workarounds with using pandoc and BibTex but it might be complicated for your current situation. I'm afraid you need to do it manually via Word plugin for now and set up a method using Zotero>Scrievener>Word. This would include parsing your citations in bibtex while exporting from Zotero, using scrievener with citation keys, then exporting to Word, then using pandoc to create citations from those keys with Zotero. I don't know the exact method though.
  • I'm surprised with the popularity of Scrivener this process would be easier. Maybe it's not as popular as I think. I realize Word is pretty ubiquitous but it really does not have the flexibility.
  • You might wanna try solutions suggested in here: https://guides.library.cornell.edu/zotero/scrivener
  • Write to the Scrivener developer and request that they allow Zotero to function with their program. The structure of Scrivener prohibits programs like Zotero from integrating into your writing process. I have no idea if Literature and Latte can easily make it possible but it would be wonderful if they would consider it. Others have asked. Maybe one more request from you will finally convince the developers to make the needed changes.
  • I am with @DWL-SDCA on this. I wanted to use Scrievener and got close to purchasing it, but the lack of seamless integration with Zotero kept me back. If there were the same functions available as other word processor plugins, I would have already been using it. Its arranging, drafting, brainstorming features are superb compared to others.