iOS: Editing PDF stored in the Files app rather than within the Zotero App Library

# Specs
- version
- iPadOS: iPadOS 17.2 (21C62)
- Zotero: Version 1.0.27 Build 238

# Intro

- I use a note-taking tool called '[Obsidian](https://obsidian.md/)': all data (including Markdown files, multimedia attachments and Obsidian's own configuration settings and plugins) is stored in a tree directory fully contained in a single 'root' folder, known as a 'Vault'; this makes Obsidian very portable between OSs: all you need is the Obsidian App to read the data, and the entire working environment functions the same on every device
- most of my attachments happen to be PDFs, which I need to annotate (using both notes and highlighs)
- The [Xodo App](https://apps.apple.com/it/app/xodo-pdf-reader-scanner/id805075929) lets me edit the PDFs inside this folder directly, without having to import into any kind of Xodo App Library and vice versa (exporting back to Obsidian Vault): only problem is I'm deeply dissatisfied with the performance of the app on my device, frequently crashing and/or erasing recent changes or annotations I've worked on
- [Zotero](https://apps.apple.com/it/app/zotero/id1513554812?l=en-GB), an open-source, versatile, "personal reaearch assistant" especially thought for scholars definitely seemed to be what I wanted to be using: the study experience on there is smooth and pleasant to work with, as I've verified myself through testing the App

# Problem

- I'd really like to be able to open and edit any file in the Files App with Zotero, without the App downloading a copy of the file inside its own App Library: this gives me a lot more control and flexibility over my data which I rely on for school, as it means I'm not confined to my main device (iPad) or app (Zotero)
- I know Zotero syncs, but I would rather find my own way of moving the entire 'Vault' from one device to another rather than relying on a limited online service (having more storage would mean I'd have to pay)

# Conclusion

- any suggestions on this?
- If the mobile app doesn't currently support such a feature, how hard would it be to implement?
- Are there any plans/ideas similar to my request I can look in to?
- Are there any workarounds I could use instead for the time being?
- Eg. Somehow providing links to PDFs saved in the Zotero App Library, so that when I click on one of these links inside the Obsidian App the PDF is automatically opened in Zotero
  • edited March 10, 2024
    No, sorry. The mobile apps are designed to sync annotations with the desktop app seamlessly and efficiently using DB-based annotations, so we have no plans to support opening of PDFs externally beyond exporting. We'll be continuing to add features to the built-in reader in parallel with the desktop reader.

It's possible to generate links to files in Zotero using plugins — and those links will work on iOS too — but I'll let others help with that.
  • Oh, I get it now; thanks for the link, that really helped me understand why Zotero works this way :)