• where exactly? In the URL field or somewhere else?
  • Could you open the Zotero Connector Preferences -> Advanced -> Config Editor, copy the proxies.proxies field (you can double-click it to open the dialog box if the full value is truncated) and send it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • edited November 29, 2023
    @sklein3 Could you produce a Debug ID from the Zotero Connector? After enabling debugging refresh the page in question and click on the Zotero Connector, making sure the item save is finished, only then submit the debug log.
  • For some reason, I did not get an email about your response.

I submitted:

The Debug ID is D155176008.
  • And I work with many students and it seems like the same issue occurs on most people's instance. Maybe all, but I do not always check.
  • Did you see proxies.proxies is set to []
  • Could you produce a Debug ID for a save of this page from Zotero as well? Make sure you reload the EBSCOhost page before saving the page (pressing the Zotero Connector button in your browser).
  • The Debug ID is D1727830924.
  • edited December 7, 2023
    No, this is still a Debug ID from the Zotero Connector. See the Debug ID instructions for how to produce one from Zotero. Also, you should only enable debug logging for a short while, when you perform the requested procedure, and then submit immediately. Do not have it enabled if you are not actually performing the action we are trying to troubleshoot.
  • If you refresh the page that you are saving in your browser before the save, does the URL still come out wrong in Zotero?
  • Refreshing the page definitely does not correct the problem
  • Could you try a different browser (Firefox) and confirm you see the problem there too?
  • I have several times. I can email you a test ezproxy account if you'd care to test it. This is not just my computers, but almost every student's personal computer that I have worked with. It's a bug.
  • I'm not seeing this on our EBSCO access with EZProxy. The URL actually comes (or at least should come) from the RIS file provided by EBSCO -- could you check what you see in the UR - tag when you click on Export --> Direct Export in RIS (and then cancel Zotero's automatic import, save the file and open it in a text editor).
  • Same:

TY - JOUR
    TI - Art as Critical Experience in Theodor W. Adorno and John Dewey
    AU - Williamson, Athanassia
    T2 - Journal of the History of Ideas
    DA - 2023/07//
    PY - 2023
    DO - 10.1353/jhi.2023.a901492
    DP - EBSCOhost
    VL - 84
    IS - 3
    SP - 511
    EP - 532
    SN - 00225037
    UR - https://ezproxy.gc.cuny.edu/login?url=
    Y2 - 2023/12/11/14:45:20
    L1 - files/1204/Williamson - 2023 - Art as Critical Experience in Theodor W. Adorno an.pdf
    KW - ADORNO, Theodor W., 1903-1969
    KW - AESTHETIC experience
    KW - AESTHETICS
    KW - AESTHETICS of art
    KW - ART criticism
    KW - ART theory
    KW - DEWEY, John, 1859-1952
    KW - INDIVIDUATION (Philosophy)
    KW - NATURE appreciation
    KW - PRAXIS (Process)
    ER -
  • that's the source of the error then, you should report this to EBSCO. Here's how this looks for us here and how it should look for you (with your rather than our proxy before login, obviously):
    https://libezproxy2.syr.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=30h&AN=164852506&site=ehost-live
  • Strange. The same error was occurring with PQT and JSTOR, but I just retested and now it isn't, so yes it seems particular to EBSCO.

But what do you mean by, 'that's the source of the error then'?
    Do you merely mean 'EBSCO' and you were able to reproduce?
  • edited December 11, 2023
    The source of the error is something that EBSCO misconfigured in your installation, nothing to do with Zotero.
    If you look at the URL they provide in the RIS file, it also misses the actual resource details and is just the login page for your proxy. That's not the case in other EBSCO installations (such as ours up North here), so you should report this to EBSCO as an error in their RIS (I'd recommend not mentioning Zotero as that tends to confuse tech support).

Edit: it's conceivable this is an issue with EZProxy configuration rather than EBSCO, too -- in either case, it's not a problem related to Zotero: Zotero faithfully imports the data as displayed by the database.
  • Thanks, Adam. This is super helpful.
    Not sure how it could be an EZproxy issue if it works with other resources?
  • I don't know either -- somehow EBSCO picks up the proxy and inserts it in the RIS and that's not working. My guess would be that's an EBSCO issue, but it might be that your EZProxy is supposed to include information somewhere in the config and that EBSCO is looking for and not finding it -- I don't know enough about that part of the setup to say more.
    I don't think many other databases write the proxied URL to the metadata explicitly the way EBSCO does, so I'm not surprised this is limited to EBSCO either way.
  • Thanks again.
  • You were correct, Adam. An Ebsco issue. They fixed. You can close. Thank you so much!
  • The tech updated the Proxy Mask to include the portion https://ezproxy.gc.cuny.edu/login?url={targetURL}.