Would Zotero work for me?

Before proceeding to Zotero installation I would like to find out if it could be useful for me!
I have over the years gathered articles from all media, documents, research, book summaries, pdf files, transcript of the web seminar, website references, plus my own writing document in Word, etc… I’m about to start writing a book about actual modern human evolution and behaviour across time, especially with the impact of the AI new paradigm being ignored by our governments …. Etc.
I have those personal volumes of documents to screen and organize before initiating my work IS Zotero the right tool?

Thanks in advance for your comments and reply

728 Files, 24 Folders 336 MB, 478 Files, 24 Folders 1,2 GB in 3 different languages, mainly French and English…
  • edited October 30, 2023
    In your case the extraordinary value of Zotero will come when you are writing the manuscripts of your chapters. Zotero makes entering precisely formatted reference citations a trivial one-click task. The same ease of creating a bibliography. If you move sentences or paragraphs you will not need to reenter or re-order your references because Zotero will do that automatically. Similarly, you can insert new text with new citations anywhere and Zotero will keep everything in proper order.

If your question is should I pick Zotero instead of some other bibliography management software, the answer is unquestionably, yes. My staff and I have used other software for bibliography management and Zotero is the most powerful and flexible.

Another advantage of using a personal bibliography manager such as Zotero is that you can assign each of your resources to different (and multiple) organizational categories and you can assign descriptive tags to each of your items. You can annotate and add notes to each of your articles and other item types.

Getting your existing resources into Zotero might be a bit time-consuming but, given what you described above I think it likely to be well worth the effort.

How do you currently have your resources organized? Are you using a spreadsheet, index cards, some other software? When you write, do you manually enter the details of each reference citation? How many of your files are journal articles? Do you have an assistant?

If you simply have a system of semi-organized computer files in category directories (folders), it will require no small effort to get your records into the Zotero program database. From your description it looks as though you have 1200 to 1500 document files. Depending upon the kind of documents you have (journal articles, book or book chapter summaries, technical reports, etc.) S-o-m-e of these might be easily and quickly brought into Zotero. Others might require importing or entering one-by-one.

Worst case scenario would be hand entry with cut and paste of each of your existing items; from my experience I estimate an average of at most 1 minute per item (less with more journal articles and a bit more time if you have mostly unpublished items). It is very likely that the total time might be very much less than the sum of 1 minute per item.

Entering each new item (journal article, chapter summary) into Zotero takes less than 5 seconds (depending upon the speed of your internet connection and the responsiveness of the database or publisher's website).

I started academic writing long ago when finding references required visiting a library, pulling a printed index book from a shelf, copying potentially useful items onto an index card, finding the book or journal, verifying that the item is relevant and copying by hand any notes or quotes. Manuscripts were hand typed with a typewriter. Very slight changes required retyping everything.
  • Hello @Berty1

You can also try the folder import plug-in to make it easier to keep the structure of folders as collections if needed (This can also be done manually one by one)

https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-folder-import

Best Regards
  • Thanks so much very generous of you !! Have a great day Bert
  • Hi, DWL-SDCA and agam2222
    Presently and for many years, I’ve been using Explorer of Windows. I've created several dossiers by topic. Running from politics to philosophy to technology to education to science to economy and so on. I would say that over the years, 80% of all the articles, references summary quotes etc… have been made by cut and paste, into a Word document. Then I titled located and identified per country. Each of those topics has a more specific under-file.
    For example for technology of Information, I will have:
    Know-how, software, research, technical, investments, history. Whitin all those, I probably have hundreds of words of documents containing hundreds of Articles, references, summaries of books, quotes, screen shut, web-references etc…
    That's the way I've done it over the years. And it's the same approach that I had for each topic that I mentioned above. I could have a Word document that contained three or four articles of about 8 to 15 pages altogether, and I could have another one containing 125 to 200 pages with a few hundred articles or references and so on...
    I've been looking intensively to find software that would respond to assist me to pull out, classified tags etc all those 25 years of Data that I've got. It is only by reading and doing an analysis of the Annual Report of the Education Council of our province of Quebec, and other countries That I discovered they were using Zotero! That I've decided to explore it.
    Nevertheless, even if I consider myself a young, old pioneer and precursor of technology. I will have to make the effort as you mentioned to make it happen. Unfortunately, I no longer have an assistant or employees which I’ve been privileged now being retired…
    Thanks again for taking the time to share and answer, I’ve been overwhelmed by the first contact on Zotero
    Regards
    Bert

• It sounds as though most of your library may consist of journal articles, their abstracts, and your own notes concerning the relevance of the article. If that is the case, you can very quickly populate Zotero by finding each article online and automatically importing the metadata and abstract. If you are able to connect within a university network you will also be able to import PDFs of many of the articles. You can open the Zotero notes tab and paste all of your own comments. All of this will be easily searchable by text-word or tag.

I was 2/3 of the way through my doctoral thesis when it became clear that the bibliography management software I was using wasn't up to the task. I considered the big, long-term picture and switched to (what was then a very early version of) Zotero. Although I needed to reaccomplish hours of work that involved both re-entering records into Zotero (from a system that had no decent export mechanism) and re-inserting citations into my thesis draft; I found that revisiting everything gave me additional insight into the direction of my work. I discovered gaps that I hadn't noticed and I was able to address the issues. Gaps that would surely been pointed out by my committee and that would have led to problems during my defense.

The time you spend adding your records into Zotero and using Zotero's organizational tools will not only be time invested to save effort when writing your drafts, I bet that you will find new connections among what you have already gathered.

When you see how comparitively easy scholarly writing has become with the introduction of bibliography software, you may even (literally) gasp in pleasant amazement.
  • edited October 31, 2023
    If one looks at the whole field of "knowledge management" software (reference management software, zettelkasten/note taking apps, writing tools beyond simple word processors), the options can seem overwhelming. Especially if you already have a workflow developed over many years, that has worked well up to now. What are the benefits of changing, that will outweigh the size of the actual task of switching workflows ? Will all those apps still be around in 5 years time ?

One way to approach a proposed transition is to just take a small sub-area of your knowledge collection and copy that into Zotero. Or if undertaking a new research/writing task, use Zotero for that task from the start. If all goes well, then you can transfer your whole collection later (maybe in small chunks).

It's also a good idea to think about the structure of your library before you start. Do you want to organize collections and sub-collections in the same way you have always done it, or are there more effective structures (remembering that an item can exist in more than one collection in Zotero, without having to have make multiple copies of it) ?

Your existing library may be all divided up nicely into logical folders under your operating system. But Zotero has no need for that folder structure - it implements collections and sub-collections internally in its own way. So you will need to decide at some point if there is any need to keep the folder structure in your OS you have now. That often comes down to whether you need to access PDFs outside of Zotero very often in the future, if it all. There are ways to maintain that folder structure outside of Zotero, and make Zotero use it too, but that setup is more complex.

If you want to use tags as one powerful means of retrieving information, it is good to devise the set of tags before you start. And then add them to items as you add the items to Zotero, or do it progressively and systematically later (but adding a whole new tag system from scratch to a large Zotero library is onerous). Saved searches are also a powerful way to retrieve information, but they can be added at any time with less planning required.

The size of your file storage requirements is another consideration. Do you wish to use Zotero across more than one device ? If not, then you can just store your entire library locally on your computer (for free). If you do want access across devices, the size of your library sounds like it will exceed the 300 mb free online quota for file storage (data storage on the other hand is free). There are other ways to approach multi-device use, but they are more complex. In any case, setting things up on one device only is the easiest way to start.

As I suggested, taking a small initial step to start using Zotero for a small part of your collection first means that you can tackle these issues gradually as they arise.
  • Thanks for those pertinent comments…
    I’m still simmering and thinking about how to approach this whole issue. One point that I assuredly misinterpreted when I say articles. All those articles for each topic contained my critique, analysis and cross-references of books, research and study, seminars etc… and practical experience related to those articles, that I’ve read over the years. Those are the ones I need and want to use to initiate my writing to determine a common denominator among all the topics.
    I guess perhaps I’m making it too complicated and as suggested just start using it on a lower scale…
    Thanks once again for the generosity in sharing, it guided me well.
    Regards
    Bert