Adding personal bookmarks to a pdf

Hi everyone :)

does anyone know if there is a possibility for me to add my own bookmarks to a pdf I am reading in zotero? (Im talking about the "structure of the document"-tag on the left side of the pdf when you are reading it)
Just like official chapters that would allow me to quickly navigate me to a page that i saved as a bookmark before. sometimes the part where you can navigate through the table of contents in a pdf is not recognized by zotero and it would be super nice to be able to then create in manually. I used to use this function a lot when is was still working with acrobat pro and have always missed on zotero.
Maybe there is a way to do that that i dont know about?

Curious if anyone knows something?
Greetings,
Jule
  • Currently this is something you'd have to do in an external PDF reader (right-click on item → Show File and open with Acrobat/etc.), but the ability to create bookmarks within the app is planned.
  • Ah thank you thats also how i did it so far. But good to know that there is something in the planning :)
  • Hey, I'm looking forward to it too! This problem is due when one's exports a Word document to PDF without applying proper style formatting. When a proper style of formatting is done, tools such as Adobe Acrobat, can automatically generate bookmarks. Regrettably, a considerable number of PDF documents that come our way lack this proper style formatting, originating from documents without structured styles.
    Maybe Zotero PDF reader could analyze the formatting elements, such as font type and size, in order to generate bookmarks of this nature? It seems that PDFElement is capable of achieving this automatically. (???)
  • Hi. It's October 2024, but I am facing the same problem :((