Cannot run Zotero after updating (Zotero 7 Beta 18)

After updating from Zotero Beta 17 to Beta 18, I could not open the Zotero software. Instead, an error message box appeared:

"this.init@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js:235:18
ZoteroService@jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files/Zotero/app/omni.ja!/components/zotero-service.js:348:23
createInstance@resource://gre/modules/ComponentUtils.jsm:90:19
@chrome://zotero/content/include.js:5:3
@chrome://zotero/content/zoteroPane.xhtml:64:25".

At the bottom of the mesage box, there were two buttons "Check for Update" and "quit". When I clicked "Check for Update", a smaller window appeared with only the Zotero logo, a disabled "full screen"and a "close" mark. It was the same even after I reinstalled the Zotero.

I really appreciate it if someone could help. Thanks in advance!
  • Sorry about that. This is a bug in the latest beta on Windows. It will be fixed in beta 19 shortly. Thanks for reporting.
  • Thanks a lot for the reply. I will wait for the new update. Hope it will not take too long. I literally cannot live without Zotero at work. And thanks again for all the efforts.
  • Fixed in beta 19, available now. If "Check for Updates" doesn't work, you may need to reinstall from the beta builds page.
  • edited July 14, 2023
    I have updated to beta 19, and can confirm that the bug is gone. Working now.
  • Annoying bug. Pretty great that it was quickly fixed.

Woke up this morning after prepping up my mate to the update notification and bug. I was happy to find the solution upfront in the first forum thread.

I would recommend to whoever is in a mission-critical moment of their academic work to skip the beta for now, unless if strictly necessary.
  • Finally it is back again. Thanks a lot for the quick reaction!
This discussion has been closed.