Suggest add “area selection and copy image” function in iOS app

edited April 28, 2023
I use Zotero in iPad to manage my literature and app Notability to make handwritten notes. In the iOS version Zotero, there is not area selection function. If I want to copy some pattern in an article to my notes, I need to export the pdf file to another app. Therefore, I suggest adding the area selection function to the future version of Zotero in iPad.
  • In the iOS version Zotero, there is not area selection function.
    Yes there is. It's the third annotation tool in the toolbar.
  • I have tried this tool, but the selected area cannot be copied. I think this is just a tool to add rectangle marks.
  • I'm telling you it's the same tool as on the desktop — it creates image annotations.

There's not currently a way in the iOS app to copy the image from the image annotation to the clipboard, but that has nothing to do with what the tool is. And you can always use the built-in screenshot tool on iOS to copy part of anything you're viewing to the clipboard. You don't need functionality in the Zotero app for that.
  • OK.

Actually, the area selection tool in the desktop version can copy the selected area. Right click the selected area, there is a "copy image" option in the drop-down menu.

I do suggest adding the copy image function in Zotero app. Because the screenshot function requires us to capture the whole screen and then edit the image to obtain the proper picture. If the Zotero app had the build-in area selection and copy function, we can obtain the proper picture without leaving the app. This is an more intuitive option, and can help the users to obtain a higher efficiency.
  • edited April 28, 2023
    Actually, the area selection tool in the desktop version can copy the selected area. Right click the selected area, there is a "copy image" option in the drop-down menu.
    Yes, as I say, this isn't possible in the iOS app currently. But you seem to still be somewhat misunderstanding this. The area selection tool exists and is exactly the same — it creates image annotations, which are viewable in the sidebar and which will sync with the desktop app. What you're describing is a separate feature that lets you copy image annotations you've already created to the clipboard. We'll try to add that feature on iOS in a future update.
  • OK, thanks a lot