Access keys and shortcut keys: Locate, Library Lookup

The Locate, Library Lookup is very powerful since it can take users to an open link resolver from their home university library giving full access to their subscriptions.

Currently, users have to remember how to get to the Locate button menu manually. (Control + Shift + K to the search, then tab to Locate button menu)

Could an access key be assigned to it (Control + shift + p), and access keys to the items in the Locate menu (e.g., L for Library Lookup).

Control + Shift + P
L

Note: I know that L is the first letter of "library lookup" so it functions as an access key. But if L is reserved for "library lookup", then more items can be added to the menu without concern for conflicts.

• Zutilo will let you define a keyboard shortcut for this (and anything else you may want...)
  • I checked Zutilo. I didn't see one for Library Lookup. There is one for google scholar.

It would be also be helpful to build it directly into Zotero as some researchers who can't use a mouse may not know about Zutilo.
  • Right, there's the show lookup menu option, though, which makes this pretty easy to get to. You can ask over at Zutilo if they'd consider adding a custom shortcut. I don't see a reason that'd only exist for Google.

For Zotero proper, I'm not convinced this particular functionality, which I don't actually think people use all that much, warrants special treatment. Also, while Zotero *should* be (keyboard and otherwise) accessible out of the box (and increasingly is), I don't think there's anything wrong with relying on an add-on to optimize/customize keyboard behavior.
  • It was actually a blind screen reader researcher who drew my attention to how valuable the library lookup feature is. I have since told other blind researchers about it.

For tools used in university settings where more and more people are recognizing the importance of the requirements to have features disabled colleagues need, I think a wise strategy for development communities is follow is to provide these features themselves and not rely on third-party add-on developers, who may or may not do it.
  • edited March 11, 2023
    As I mentioned in in an earlier thread, we'll be adding all toolbar options, including the Locate menu options, to the main menus in an upcoming version. (Whether or not this would get a built-in shortcut key, main menu options are both quicker to access in general and also assignable to keyboard shortcuts using other tools — e.g., the built-in Keyboard settings in macOS, which can assign a keyboard shortcut to any menu option. Down the line I would expect us to add ways to configure keyboard shortcuts in-app for any built-in functionality, even if they're not assigned by default.)