Unable to insert bibliography into Word .docx file using plug-in, despite having active citations

When I go to insert a bibliography in my .docx file using the Zotero plug-in, I get the following error message: "You must insert a bibliography before performing this operation."

I am able to successfully add in citations using the plug-in and have checked to see if they are active vs. flattened. They are active (e.g. they highlight in grey when I click on them in the document itself).

I've also tried inserting a bibliography in a brand new .docx document and get the same error. I've also restarted my computer with no resolution.

Does anybody know what the issue may be and how I can resolve it? I am using numerical citations (Vancouver style) so copying and pasting a manual bibliography created online will not work for me.
  • This sounds like the button in the word processor add-on is somehow incorrectly mapped (to the edit bibliography command, which obviously won't work without a bibiliography).

First thing I'd try is re-installing the Word add-in from the Cite--> Word Processor tab of the Zotero preferences
  • Hi Adam - where exactly do I navigate to get there? I checked both the plug-in and online and don't see a Zotero preferences section (just Zotero settings online, which doesn't have a Cite --> Word Processor tab).
  • I was able to re-install (I found the location described right after sending my last message, my apologies) successfully and still have the same error message pop up. I deleted my previous citations and re-added them prior to trying to add the bibliography.
  • (I don't think there ever actually was an Edit Bibliography macro. There was a Edit Citation macro that hasn't been removed.)

@SISANDHU, if you insert a citation using Add/Edit Citation in a new document, if you click it and then click Add/Edit Citation, do you get the citation dialog with a bubble for the existing citation?

Can you provide a Debug ID for clicking Add/Edit Bibliography?
  • My organization's librarians were able to help me resolve the issue. I'm posting their solution below for anyone else that may encounter problems generating a bibliography using the Zotero Word plug-in:

"There is a known issue with creating bibliographies using the Zotero Word plugin. Clicking "Add/Edit Bibliography" will result in an error message.

You can create a bibliography by opening the Marco menu in Word. In the Macros box, scroll down and select "ZoteroAddEditBibliography" and Select "Run"

This will generate your final bibliography. You will have to complete these steps each time you want to create a bibliography.

If the Zotero macros are not visible in the window, you will have to open Zotero and reinstall the word plugin. In Zotero, go to "Edit" and then "Preferences". In the "Preferences" window, select the "Cite" tab and then the "Word Processors" tab. Click "Reinstall Microsoft Word Add-in" and then click OK."

• No, that's wrong. There's no "known issue" here, and there's absolutely no reason you should need to manually run the macro. The Add/Edit Bibliography button runs the ZoteroAddEditBibliography macro.

If there's some problem with the toolbar buttons, you should delete Zotero.dotm from your Word Startup folder, restart Word to confirm that it's gone, and then close Word and reinstall the plugin from Cite pane of the Zotero preferences. That will ensure that you have the latest version, which should work fine. If you're still having trouble after that, we'd want the Debug ID I ask for above.
  • It is a known issue within our organization with multiple users having the same issue. Manually running the macro resolved this issue. Thanks.
  • Is this a centrally installed/provisioned version of Zotero? Because then the problem would be that install
  • edited January 5, 2023
    A "known issue" implies something the developers are aware of. As a Zotero developer, I'm telling you we're not aware of any reason this should occur with a current version of the plugin, and I'm explaining how to attempt to solve it. You should do what I suggest, and if you're still having trouble provide the information I asked for so that we can attempt to actually resolve your problem. There's no reason you should need to go into Word macros to use Zotero.
  • It's probably an install issue as pointed out above. It works for me now so I no longer have the need to take time to explore another resolution. Thanks for the insight.