repeated numbers - skipped numbers

a few Q's -- working in word 16.66
1) I have a long document > 300 citations. sometimes citations in the middle of the lineup start at 1, other areas show the numbers are skipping a few. Is this because of section breaks? how do i fix?

2) in this doc, i had zotero citations transported over from scrivener into word (months ago) -- they are now longer active zotero citations. do i have to re-insert all these again, and is it possible this is causing all these funky numbering patterns?
  • 2) in this doc, i had zotero citations transported over from scrivener into word (months ago) -- they are now longer active zotero citations. do i have to re-insert all these again, and is it possible this is causing all these funky numbering patterns?
    Hard to say without more details on how you moved them over, but most likely yes to both questions.
  • thanks for quick reply. I removed all section breaks and it solved most of my problems. On that note, these forums tell me there is no way to break out refs by chapter, unless i break up the entire file into chapters or deactivate/unlink the citations and renumber myself. has this changed by chance?
  • Which citation style are you using? This is true for numeric citation styles like Vanouver, but it's not necessarily true for footnotes/endnotes (which are numbered by Word, not Zotero) -- and the fact that sections do anything with your citations would point to you using notes.
  • i'm using numbered endnotes Chicago manual style 17th full notes. i have to restart the numbering for each chapter. the section breaks i had did not help me with this (except they made a small mess with a few.) is the something i can do? thanks!
  • Yeah, that's possible but it's entirely Word -- so you'll want to google how to restart endnote numbering for a new section for your Word version: it has nothing to do with Zotero and applies to all endnotes, manual or Zotero-generated ones.
  • thanks so much