Items not moving properly from my library to group library

I had updated the Zotero client on my computer recently before I tried to move some items from my library, which is under a free storage account to a group library for a project I'm working on. The owner of the group library has an unlimited storage account and all group members can add to the library.

When I moved a few of the documents from my library to the group library I noticed that the items still remained in my library but 2 copies could be found in the group library. One was not able to be indexed and the other could be indexed. So I then had to delete the item from my library and the copy that could not be indexed from the group library. Also, I noticed that the index date changed from when it was in my library to the date that it was added to the group library. I thought that the index date would stay the same as when it was indexed in my library? Moreover, when I had moved more items from my library to the group library, each item had the same 2 copies present.

Additionally, I have been receiving the Zotero file quota has been reached notification after I moved items from my library to the group library to free up storage on my library. The owner of the group library has not been experiencing any of the issues which I have and works perfectly for them.

Report ID: 1154861614.
  • Sorry, I'm not really following this.

I don't know what "indexing" you're referring. Full-text indexing, indicated by the "Indexed" line in the right-hand pane after clicking on an attachment item? There's no date attached to that. A file wouldn't be able to be indexed if the file is missing, so start by confirming that you can actually open the file.

Items copied between libraries are separate items, but there's a link between them, and you can't copy the same item more than once without deleting the target one. If you have multiple items in the group library, then you dragged different items or added them separately. If you want to copy updated versions of the items, you'd need to delete them from the target library and drag again.

Group storage draws from the group owner's quota, and since you're not the group owner, it has nothing to do with you. You're at your own file storage quota, though, so you'll get errors about not being able to upload files to your personal library.

Beyond that, see Steps to Reproduce for the kind of very specific, concrete report we'd need to help further.
  • Thanks for the reply. I was working with my collaborator and we were able to get the duplicate issue worked out after I updated the Zotero client on my computer to the latest release. I also realized why I was receiving the file storage quota notification. It was because I was not clearing my bin after I had added files to it. However, the steps to reproduce can be found below.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Select and drag a file from My Library (that was added a year ago) to the Group Library.
    2. The file has been added to the Group Library but with a copy.
    3. One copy has the metadata with it which can be seen in the right-hand pane but the other does not.
    4. File with no metadata cannot be opened/
    5. Delete the copy that has no metadata associated with it.
    6. Move the file from My Library to the bin.

I expected that the file once dragged from My Library to the Group Library would move with all of it's associated metadata and create space in My Library. I confused adding a file to Zotero and full-text indexing which also caused you to get confused too.

Some non-academic pdfs which have been dragged from My Library to the Group Library have the full-text indexing and show "Indexed: Yes" in the right-hand pane. Other non-academic pdfs which have also been dragged from My Library to the Group Library don't have full-text indexing and show "Indexed: No" in the right-hand pane. Only the non-academic pdfs that have "Indexed: Yes" in the right-hand pane can be opened from the Group Library. The non-academic pdfs have not been removed from My Library where they all have "Indexed: Yes" in the right-hand pane and their storage location hasn't changed from when they where added to Zotero. So why did the files have duplicates when dragged from My Library to the Group Library and why can some of the non-academic pdfs be opened but others cannot?
  • One copy has the metadata with it which can be seen in the right-hand pane but the other does not.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. It will copy what you drag. If you drag a parent item, you'll get the metadata. If you drag a standalone PDF, you won't.

Metadata doesn't have anything to do with full-text indexing ("Indexed:"), and full-text indexing doesn't have anything to do with whether you can open the file, other than that a missing file can't be indexed.

I'm afraid this is all just really unclear, so if you're still having trouble, take a few screenshots that show what you're describing, upload them somewhere (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive), and provide a link here, and we can help clarify.