Replace PDFs when importing to the web library

I recently got an android eink tablet (Boox Air). While there are some android app options I was wondering if there is any possibility of adding one feature to the web library. The web library has come a long way and now has most of the useful features of Zotero. I'm using it to download my pdfs for annotation, and then to upload the annotated pdf afterwards. However, this means having to delete the prior attachment as the attachment becomes duplicated. I was wondering first if it is possible to add a feature where Zotero checks if you have an attachment by the same name already and asks if you want to replace that attachment rather than uploading a completely new item to the library when you add a new file. This would make it much easier to bypass downloading other apps that may interfere with your database.

(A simpler version of this would be to add the option of replacing the prior attachment when uploading a new one with the same name to the same citation, but this is not nearly as powerful as my first suggestion)
  • I can see how something like this could be useful, we will consider adding it. If we did, it would probably be a button visible next to each attachment that would allow to upload an "updated" attachment, would that work for you?

It's also worth mentioning that once Zotero 6 is released, a built-in PDF annotation feature is planned for web library similar to the one in current beta.
  • edited February 23, 2022
    Thank you for the swift reply! That would be helpful, although my first idea is more powerful and quick (the ability to replace just by uploading a similarly named file).

I'm not sure if pdf annotation in the browser will work well on the eink tablet. It may be that it works as it should but the boox works best with apps that are "optimized" and handwritten notes in other apps does not work well. Drawings appear with a significant lag in other apps than the built-in ones (+ Onenote) and one of the main features is the ability to draw/write by hand in addition to highlighting.

(Not really relevant for the post but one of the reasons why I chose Zotero in the first place many years ago was the interoperability that PDFs allowed assuring I wasn't locked to Zotero for my annotations. I am probably too much of a skeptic, but isn't the new pdf-editor just Zotero's version of other locked in ecosystems?)
  • Problem with overriding by file name is it might not work for some scenarios where multiple files with the same name are desired. We will discuss internally and try to come up with something.

Zotero built-in annotations are done this way to allow swift syncing, exporting is possible and easy, for more details please see last two bullet-points on this article.
  • @oyvindbs: On the last point, see this page for more details.
  • Thank you for the help! I'm more positive to the new system now. I think a "Replace pdf"-button would be a really good addition if your able to add that to the web library.

One more question about the built-in annotations concerning the web library. Will the export from the web library include the built-in annotations or only the unannotated pdf? I guess for my use described here, only exporting the original pdf would mean I would have to opt out of the built-in annotations.
  • The web library doesn't know anything about the new annotations yet, so it won't include those.
  • Ok. When you're saying yet, you mean this is something that will change? Or will it continue like that also after Zotero 6 is launched and the PDF-reader is included etc.?
  • edited February 25, 2022
    It will happen sometime after Zotero 6 is released, but not immediately.