Files not saving to specified base directory

I use Zotero (5.0.96.3 on MacOS Big Sur11.6) with multiple machines.

I went to (Preferences>Files and Folders>Linked Attachment Base Directory) and specified a Dropbox folder where I want Zotero to save the pdf attachments of all my papers in:
/Users/myname/Dropbox/literature

Unfortunately, Zotero is failing to save the linked .pdf in the provided directory, and is storing them in the default:
Users/myname/Zotero/storage/STRANGE_FOLDER_NAME/author.year.pdf

Naturally, when I try to retrieve that .pdf in a machine different than the one I saved the file on, Zotero is unable to find the .pdf file. Even if I try to look for the file manually, the folder names that Zotero chooses are terribly difficult (e.g., "P2L7UX5D" or "N39CWPX9").

1. How can I make Zotero safe all .pdf files in my Dropbox folder so I can actually open them in any of the machines I work with?

2. Also, is there a way of telling Zotero to stop using those difficult codes to name the folders, and to use a more intuitive method (e.g., author)?

Thanks!
  • edited October 18, 2021
    The Linked Attachment Base Directory doesn't make Zotero save files anywhere else — Zotero always saves stored files by default. It sounds like you're looking for the ZotFile plugin.
    Also, is there a way of telling Zotero to stop using those difficult codes to name the folders, and to use a more intuitive method (e.g., author)?
    There's no need to worry about Zotero's internal storage system, which helps ensure that files never become lost or disconnected. We strongly recommend just using stored files and using Zotero itself to find files (which has better organizational and search options than your OS) or creating a saved search in your OS to show a flat list of all files within the data directory. On a Mac you can also just use Spotlight to find the files, which are automatically named based on the title, author, and year.

See Stored Files and Linked Files for more info.
  • Thanks dstillman.

I have checked the settings in the ZotFile plugin and the directories seem to be right. Problem seems to be fixed.

There are still have some files that I cannot retrieve but I suspect these may have been saved with the default path. Will try to update all folders across all machines.

Thanks again for your help.