Restoring library from two back-ups

I recently tried to restore a Zotero library (1) from a backup on an old laptop, to a new library (2) I had been using on a current laptop, by transferring the squlite file and the storage folders from the old library (1) to the working directory of the new library (2), and storing these folders from library 2 in a temporary file. This did not achieve what I was hoping it would, and I ended up with an empty Zotero library, even when I put the squlite and storage folders from library 2 back in the current directory. I now have:
-an online version of the new library 2, but I don't know how to restore this to the desktop app, and...
-a backed up version of library 1, which I don't know how to recover from backup.

I'd be really grateful for some advice on these issues.
  • Assuming your data is all online, you can always just sync a fresh install to pull down your online data, but if you truly have a backup, it really is as easy as moving the old data directory into the right place. You shouldn't be worrying about individual files.

https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#restoring_your_zotero_data_from_a_backup1

If that's not working, you likely don't have a proper backup. If the zotero.sqlite file is 1 MB or 5 MB, it's an empty file. If it's bigger, it's a real database.
  • The online data is only for the new library. So if I press sync this will restore the new library to the desktop app?

For the old library, I've done what's recommended on that page, and set the backup folder (6.3MB) as the key directory, but Zotero desktop is still empty.
  • The online data is only for the new library. So if I press sync this will restore the new library to the desktop app?
    You'll get what you have online. But I'm not clear on what you're saying the situation is for the old vs. new library, or what their sync histories were.
    For the old library, I've done what's recommended on that page, and set the backup folder (6.3MB) as the key directory, but Zotero desktop is still empty.
    As I say, you need to check the size of the zotero.sqlite file. If the whole folder is 6.3 MB, unless you have no attached files in 'storage' it sounds like you may not have done a proper backup of the zotero.sqlite database file.
  • Ok, that's useful to know for the new library that is saved online. Thank you.

Sorry, I meant that the squlite file is 6.3MB, which suggests it is a proper backup. Could it be anything to do with the fact that the backup was from a windows PC and I am trying to restore to a mac?
  • No, OS makes no difference.

If you're getting an empty database, you may be somehow restoring it to the wrong place.

If you don't mind uploading it to the DB Repair Tool and posting the Upload ID here, we can tell you if it's really empty. (If you do so, ignore the download link the tool provides. This is just a way to securely share the file.)
  • Ok I've uploaded it here: 6034db0997db1.
  • Yes, there are collections and items in there. So you've got to be doing something wrong in the restore.