Zotero app freezing and constantly 'loading'

Hello,

I have macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 and Zotero 5.0.96-beta

My zotero app was working fine last week but all of the sudden, it will freeze every time I try to switch from one collection to another. It will open fine, with the last selected collection opening but once I try to select another collection, "loading items" page shows and freezes.

I've deleted the app from my computer and re-downloaded zotero 3 times now. I've also made sure all my softwares all up-to-date. The online zotero library works fine but with the online library, I can't seem to add articles automatically with the chrome connector.

My storage for zotero is 2GB and I have plenty of space left so it's not that..

Would anyone have a solution for this?

Thank you in advance.

• Does the whole app freeze and you have to force-quit or does it just stay on "Loading items…"?

If the latter, can you provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup through this happening, using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option?
  • Hello, thank you for your response.

The whole app freezes in which I have to force-quit.

As of now, I've resorted to using the online library but this doesn't seem to find/add attachments when I add to the library. Is this correct?

• You can access attachments via the web library, but you'll want to fix the app if you're using Zotero for real work.

Can you follow the steps in Logging to a Terminal Window to generate debug output for the freeze, go to Shell → Export Text As, right-click on the saved text file and choose Compress, and email the ZIP file to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • Just sent an email with the debug zip file.
    Looking forward to a solution. Thank you!
  • It's actually freezing on some cleanup work during the startup auto-sync, not the collection switching.

Instead of clicking anything, if you just let it go for a while after starting Zotero, I suspect it will finish. You should be able to tell by hovering over the sync icon to see when the last sync was.

If that works, we'd want to know if this happens on every startup or was just a one-time thing.