Switch to APA 7th edition

My reference are currently generating APA 6th edition. My university have told me that my dissertation will need a complete switch to APA 7. I can't see how I can make this switch? It still generates 6th edition. When I go to edit and preferences it shows the list of different styles but I can't see how to install it? Also will installing 7th edition recreate all the existing references automatically to 7th edition. Thank you.
  • Hi,

Yes, your citations will be automatically updated when changing to a different style.

Can you go here and click on the link? https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:apa

This should install APA7 in Zotero.

Otherwise, within Zotero, go to Edit > Preferences > Cite pane > "Get additional styles". Then it will appear within the Document preferences where you were earlier.
  • (Unless Har installed APA 6 explicitly before, the APA 6 style would've been automatically upgraded to APA 7. The default APA style always upgrades automatically when a new version comes out.)
  • Thank you for these responses. I don't think has updated at all. I have just tried again but it is still showing the place of publishing which is the 6th edition style. I can't seem to get it to update. I have just generated this as an example:
    This looks incorrect for 7th edition?

Pitts, S. (2012). Chances and Choices: Exploring the Impact of Music Education. Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199838752.001.0001

If you can help any further thanks but technology is not my strongest point and I feel I might be missing something very obvious!

Thank you.

• That’s correct 7th edition. You can tell because there is no publisher place for the book.
  • Though you should change the item data in your library to store the title in sentence case instead of title case. Right click on the title and choose sentence case.
  • That's great thank you bwiernik. I've just be studying the new changes for the 7th edition, it's not as daunting as it seems. I found the sentence case facility too, thank you so much.