Zotero telling me to restart + missing account

Hi,

I have been using Zotero for some time now, and it has been working completely fine until yesterday when the symbol of Zotero had changed in the menu bar, and when I try to open it, I am met by the following message:

"Your computer must be restarted to complete a pervious upgrade of Zotero. Do you want to reboot now?"

I have tried to restart it many times, but the problem just persist. I can access the folder with the files located on my computer (C:\Users\username\Zotero). I have understood that I can deinstall and reinstall, but this is where the real problem comes: it seems like I have no account on Zotero (Ive made one now just to be able to write in this forum). When I press "forgotten my password", Zotero doesn't recognize my work-email adress, nor my private one. Its a couple of years since I downloaded the programme, and I can't seem to find any email from Zotero asking me to validate any email adress, like the one I got now making this account. Does this mean that I have used Zotero locally on my computer, and with this current problem: if I do deinstall to reinstall, I will loose all my material stored in Zotero or is there a way I can import the existing folder located on my computer to a "new" zotero-library connected to this account?

Hope someone can help!
  • edited January 25, 2021
    Uninstalling has no effect on your data. You should always have a backup of your Zotero data directory (preferably as part of a regular, automated backup of your entire computer), but it won't be necessary here.

And this has nothing to do with a Zotero account, which isn't required to use Zotero. You very well might just not have one. But it wouldn't be something you would use over a local backup anyway. Going forward, if you sync with this account, your database will be tied to this account.
  • Thanks for you reply.

I am still stuck with the Setup message: "Your computer must be restarted to complete a previous upgrade of Zotero. Do you want to reboot now?" This message also comes when I try to uninstall the software. Again, I try to reboot it, but nothing changes - I am neither able to open the existing Software-file nor uninstall it in order to reinstall again.
  • edited January 30, 2021
    Go to C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Zotero and delete the "updates" folder if there is one. Then reinstall Zotero from the download page.