Exported library in .js format

Hey, I recently reset my computer and wisely exported my zotero library beforehand. I did this by clicking "export library.." and chosing an external hard drive.

Unfortunately I cannot import my library any more. Zotero now says its the wrong format. They're all in .js. What went wrong? How can I import my library anyway?

Thanks for the help!
Lele123
  • 1) An export isn't a backup. You wanted to have made an actual backup of your Zotero data directory. Really this shouldn't have anything to do with Zotero — you should just never wipe your computer without a full backup of your disk drive. Do you have that?

2) A .js file isn't something Zotero exports, so you're somehow confused about what you have.

Do you have a copy of your previous Zotero data directory?
  • 1) Good to know. I thought exporting it would enable it to later import it again.

2) I just used the export library button. I have no idea, why it did that. That's why I'm so confused.

Not that I know of.
  • I just used the export library button.
    No, you didn't.

1) There's no such button. There's a menu option.

2) There is no export format that gives you a .js file.

What's the actual filename?
  • edited January 14, 2021
    @Lele123: If you're looking at .js files, you're almost certainly looking at the 'translators' folder of a Zotero data directory (with "A Contra Corriente.js" and hundreds of other files named after sites) — either a backup of your previous one or the empty one created when you reinstalled Zotero on your wiped computer.

You're definitely not looking at your export.
  • 1) Thats what I meant. Sorry, English is not my mother language and I'm not a computer scientist.

I used "Export library" in the menu option and the exported folder contains only .js files. Their are all my citations, just in .js. Can I upload a screenshot to show you since you don't believe me.
  • You can upload a screenshot to Dropbox or similar and post a link here.
  • @Lele123: If you're looking at .js files, you're almost certainly looking at the 'translators' folder of a Zotero data directory (with "A Contra Corriente.js" and hundreds of other files named after sites) — either a backup of your previous one or the empty one created when you reinstalled Zotero on your wiped computer.

You're definitely not looking at your export

Ah ok! Good to know. So there is no actual exported library? Or exporting your library doesn't mean it's saved somewhere for later importing and its therefore gone?
  • edited January 14, 2021
    If you use "Export Library", you will get an export of your library in whatever format you choose. That's not intended as a backup, may not be an exact copy of your library, and will break links to citations in any word processor documents, but it will contain most of your data, particularly if you chose Zotero RDF. But you'd have to actually find the export — wherever you saved it — in order to import it. What you're describing isn't what you exported. You're looking in the wrong place and describing something else.

Alternatively, if you have an actual copy of the Zotero data directory from before you wiped your computer, you could do a proper restore from that. Same if you were using Zotero syncing, but that doesn't appear to be the case.