Can we make inserting citations into Word, as two-step process.{Word+LaTeX compatible workflow}

Hi,

I was always looking for a workflow, where I can draft my article in Word and then finalize it in Latex, with preserving the citations.

Today I came across latest release note from ReadCube Papers.
1) https://support.papersapp.com/support/solutions/articles/30000040861
2) https://support.papersapp.com/support/solutions/articles/30000040840

Where they have a new workflow, in which they generate the citations for articles in the library (like with better bibtex for zotero). Then we can start writing an "intermediate" version of our article in Word, inserting the citation keys as {artKey} and bibliography as {bibliography} . Then they pass this document through "Format Document" step and generate the final version of article.

As the citation keys are same, with the exported .bib from the library, the content from same "intermediate" version can be copied in latex for compilation. Just need to add "\cite" in front of keys and remove "{bibliography}".

Thanks
  • what is the exact workflow you want to do? Write in Word, but compile in TeX?
  • WRT the first link is effectively what RTF/ODF scan does for Zotero, although from the description on the PapersApp site, RTF/ODF scan offers a few things PapersApp doesn't (eg locators, pre- and post- text).

Auto-generation of citekeys is provided by BBT.

It should be possible to have RTF/ODF scan use citekeys in addition to their native zu:... syntax, but you'd have to ask the RTF/ODF scan devs if they're interested. I built BBT, so I can help on that end of the pairing.

• Hi,

@bwiernik, I wanted to use wysiwyg editor for completing draft of my documents, without the need to further manually add citations while creating its Latex version. Also both Papers and Word has iPad apps, that help me write documents on the go.

@emilianoeheyns, Coming from a normal user's perspective, this is what I want as a feature. When I insert citation in Word from zotero, instead of inserting "formatted" citation, I want only citekeys(BBT generated) to be inserted. And then, like we use "refresh" option in Zotero-Word addon to update our bibliography, there can be another button to convert the document(with citekeys) to final document.

At functionality level, it is exactly what currently happens, but just that breaking it into two steps gives me my desired workflow.

Thanks
  • @piyushkumardongre WRT to the features as presented on those two links:

SmartCite for Citekeys (Pages)

let's compare RTF/ODF scan (going forward: ROs) to Papers:

Papers RTF/ODF scan
    Paste a marker into word processor Paste or drag-and-drop a marker into word processor
    Convert to docx Convert to ODF
    Tools > Format document > choose style > save Gear menu > RTF/ODF > ODF > Next
    - Open document in LO, select style, refresh

So the processes are nearly identical, including "breaks" in the process, and ROs has the additional feature of adding locators, pre and posttext. It seems to me that if what Papers offers is for a "normal user" (which admittedly I'm not), then ROs is too.

WRT LaTeX finalization, there's something like https://retorque.re/zotero-better-bibtex/installation/preferences/hidden-preferences/#citeprocnotecitekey. I'm not sure whether Papers helps in some way with the conversion from Papers/docx to LaTeX but I'd be very surprised if it did a better job or even an equally good job as pandoc. AAMOF if papers does convert from Papers/docxto TeX, chances are good it's simply calling a bundled pandoc.

Citekey Management

This is covered entirely (and then some) by BBT. Without having seen the Papers bib(la)tex output I feel fairly confident in saying that the resulting bib(la)tex from BBT is going to be vastly better, and the process is customizable when you disagree with the choices I made either by configuration or postscript. You should never have to post-process BBT output, as anything you'd want changed of the output can be done inside Zotero. That's aside stuff such as auto-export, git support, TeXstudio support, CAYW, ...

I'll grant that key management leaves one annoying wrinkle, and that is that the citekeys don't sync across desktop installations. That will be fixed when Zotero gets its own citekey field. I'll figure something out with the Zotero devs on how BBT will interact with the field, but I take it a given that I will move BBT to that field in some way over the existing separate DB + extra field use.

• Thanks for the detailed response.

I was actually unaware of RTF/ODF scan workflow with zotero, and used to use Zotero plugin.

I tried earlier crossplatform workflows with (Markdown+Pandoc) but always something or other (cite-fignos etc.) had some issues.

I couldn't access the above link (kaspersky tells its unsafe.)

I am okay with this workflow for now, and will adapt as things change for better with Zotero.

Thanks
  • FYI

The security of your connection is reduced. Criminals can attempt to steal your data from the website. You are advised to leave this website.

URL:

retorque.re

Reason:

This certificate or one of the certificates in the certificate chain is not up to date. View certificate

I understand the risks and wish to continue
  • So yeah, full of shit. The certificate is valid until 16 August 2021, and is managed by cloudflare.

Looking at this and this it looks like Kasperski installs a man-in-the-middle certificate and that's somehow failing. But if Kasperski is doing that, that means they're structurally reducing the security of all your encrypted connections from your browser. It's pretty ludicrous that they even offer that without fully informing the user what it does. If you have this on, Kaspersky can in principle read along (and modify!) everything you do on your banking/paypal/credit card sites. It's wildly irresponsible.

Pretty damn ironinc that they should say "I understand the risks and wish to continue" about a site that is fully static while probably not informing their user base about the man-in-the-middle they install. Even if you trust them to not be malicious, you must also trust them to be competent. You want to have to trust as few parties as possible when it comes to encrypted connections -- preferably only the server you talk to and your browser.
  • I’ve recently been having weird problems with the Windows certificate store recording old expiration dates—that might be the issue here.
  • That would exculpate Kaspersky for this particular error without making their decision to install an mitm any less dense.