Report ID #364179573 i have no idea what's wrong with my zotero please help.

i need immediate help. i'm in the middle of a timed exam for my PhD. someone from zotero please contact me. i don't even know how to describe what's wrong, because i have no idea. i can't open any of my files from my local zotero library; nothing will sync with my online library, i just upgraded my storage to try to fix the problem and it didnt work;
  • i need immediate help. someone from zotero please contact me. i don't even know how to describe what's wrong, because i have no idea. here's the best i can do: i can't open any of my files from my local zotero library; nothing will sync with my online library; i just upgraded my storage to try to fix the problem and it didnt work; i think i deleted zotero.sqlite from my computer but then recovered it but i dont know what it even does.
  • database or disk is full
    Your disk is full.
  • i have no idea what that means or how to fix it. i am not computer savvy. please help. i have a mac with catalina ios.
  • The hard-disk or at least the partition to which Zotero is trying to save is full. Delete unused files to free up space. You can use one of Apple's tool to assist with that https://support.apple.com/guide/system-information/optimize-storage-space-sysp4ee93ca4/mac
  • ok i deleted a bunch of stuff and everything seems to be working normally again. however, i bought an external hard drive to ensure i don't lose my articles again in the future. how do i make sure zotero is getting backed up/saved to that drive? i'm concerned i don't have zotero.sqlite on my computer anymore too, since i accidentally deleted it the other day trying to make space for stuff
  • See Backing Up Your Zotero Data, but this isn't something you should be doing manually. Just use Time Machine, which is built in to your Mac, to make regular, automated backups to your external drive whenever it's plugged in.

If you see your data in Zotero, you have a zotero.sqlite in your Zotero data directory. (If you deleted previously, which you should certainly never do, it's possible you synced to pull down data from your online library, but Zotero would've prompted you before doing that.)

Going forward, just make sure you're using Time Machine and make sure you keep at least 10 GB or more of free space on your disk at all times, since you'll run into all sorts of problems — not just Zotero problems — if you run low on space.
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH. this phd student is eternally grateful for you, and i'm going to give Zotero a shoutout in my dissertation!