Error: Report ID: 1821157149 Unable to save notes with Zotero

I have created an account and installed Zotero on Windows and in Firefox. As well, I've installed Java as was required.

First, I encountered an error when I attempted to install the extension in LibreOffice. After the automated one failed, I tried with the manual method. It said that it failed, but then at the end at the same time it asked me to replace the existing install. I did, several times, and got the same fail.

I am also unable to save a citation using Firefox. I did go into the settings and use the default verification and Firefox tells me it is linked. But, when I created a book in Zotero, when I went to save a citation (in Lumin PDF, running via Google Drive), that book wasn't listed in the Firefox app save dialog. I attempted to save the citation numerous times, but it doesn't show up in my library.

I restarted the computer, thinking the Java install might prefer a Windows restart. After restart, I launched LibreOffice. LibreWrite told me I needed to install Java RE 86, which it normally doesn't say. However, I was able to open LibreOffice Writer, and it does have the new citation options at the top. When I opened a doc and clicked Add/Edit Citation, nothing happens.

Back in Firefox, I attempted again to save a citation. This time I got an error message, asking me if I Zotero is open (it was/is). The Book I added is still not listed. Now when I attempt to save, there is some text under the library that says Lumin PDF > Snapshot. However, this snapshot doesn't show up in my library in Zotero, nor is it clickable.

I am so frustrated. I want so much for this to work, but so far it has just been a waste! =(

The log won't let me copy the text from the Zotero Firefox app, but again the Report ID is 1821157149

• edited June 28, 2020
    But, when I created a book in Zotero, when I went to save a citation (in Lumin PDF, running via Google Drive), that book wasn't listed in the Firefox app save dialog.
    I don't understand what you mean here. I've never heard of Lumin PDF, but I also don't understand what that has to do with Zotero. What "Firefox app save dialog" are you referring to? Can you explain exactly what you're trying to do, step by step? See Steps to Reproduce for the kind of description we need.

The standard way you save things to Zotero is by going to an article page and clicking the Save to Zotero button in your browser's toolbar. When that's not an option, you can also save a PDF directly, and Zotero will try to retrieve metadata for it, but that wouldn't work on something like Lumin PDF that seems to be a web-based viewing interface to a PDF. You'd have to download the actual PDF file and drag the file to Zotero. In any case, see Adding Items to Zotero to better understand how Zotero is meant to be used.

For LibreOffice, you need the Java JRE installed and configured in LibreOffice for the plugin to work properly. See the troubleshooting instructions.
  • >I don't understand what you mean here.

The document I was attempting to save a citation from was a PDF. I was using a web-based PDF reader called Lumin. This is the default PDF reader that Google Drive uses when you open a doc in Google Drive. I'm mentioning it in case Zotero doesn't work with that particular program for whatever reason. I would think saving from a PDF is possible, no? It shouldn't matter what PDF reader I'm using, but it could be a factor which is why I mentioned it.

>What "Firefox app save dialog" are you referring to?

Zotero has a Firefox add-on. It is one of the two ways I was offered to save citations.

>What "Firefox app save dialog" are you referring to?

I am attempting to save a citation in a PDF I am reading online, using Zotero's native Firefox add on. I am surprised this is confusing, because it is the only way to save a citation while I am reading, no?

>The standard way you save things to Zotero is by going to an article page and clicking the Save to Zotero button in your browser's toolbar.

Yes, Firefox is my browser. "Save to Zotero" is done via the Firefox add-on. That is the add on I am referring to that isn't saving my citations.

>can also save a PDF directly, and Zotero will try to retrieve metadata for it, but that wouldn't work on something like Lumin PDF that seems to be a web-based viewing interface to a PDF.

Ah, OK so that may be the issue. I am surprised, since it seems like a good portion of the content I read online is a PDF...ok, so I read the link you sent on getting content into Zotero.

* the PDF open in Lumin does not show the PDF button
    * I use the right-click option and was able to save the whole document, but when I go to open it, all I get is an empty white page. Aside from this, it does no good to save an entire document, when I only want to cite one paragraph.

I am not dead set on using Lumin, I simply don't know another way to open a PDF that I have received via email. I can download it, but since Zotero isn't working in LibreOffice, I am not feeling hopeful about this solution.

>For LibreOffice, you need the Java JRE installed and configured in LibreOffice for the plugin to work properly.

Yes, I explained previously that I installed Java. I have verified that it is running the right version for my particular computer as well. Java may be the issue, but having installed I don't know how to move forward on that.

I will follow the troubleshooting instructions, but this has gotten quite long so I'll go ahead and submit this reply now.

Thank you for your response. Sorry if mine is a little cranky!
  • I should add that, regardless of compatibility issues with Lumin, shouldn't the book I created in Zotero manually show up when I click on the add on? It is concerning that it is only My Library, and not the Book I created by going to Zotero.com and choosing Create Book.
  • Ah, OK so that may be the issue. I am surprised, since it seems like a good portion of the content I read online is a PDF...ok, so I read the link you sent on getting content into Zotero.
    No, this is a misunderstanding. The problem isn't reading a PDF — as I say, the Zotero Connector will save a PDF you're viewing directly to Zotero, and then Zotero will try to retrieve metadata for it. The problem is viewing a PDF through some sort of web-based reader. In that case, you're not actually on a PDF URL, and you're not using your browser's built-in PDF reader — you're on a webpage that's doing its own thing to show you the contents of a PDF, which is why it saves to Zotero as a webpage. That's not the same as just viewing a PDF directly in your browser, which will save fine.
    I simply don't know another way to open a PDF that I have received via email.
    You need to either view the PDF directly in your browser — not via a web-based reader — or download the PDF file to disk and drag/add that to Zotero.