Volume Title - Chicago 17

Zotero has a field for "Volume Title", however, the volume title does not actually appear when creating the bibliography. So instead of the entry reading:

Carson, Clayborne, ed. The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Vol. 7, To Save the Soul of America, January 1961–August 1962. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2014.

it reads:

Carson, Clayborne, ed. The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Vol. 7. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2014.

Should the volume title appear since the field is provided? This question applies to Chicago 17 and 16.

Many thanks.
  • Zotero doesn't have a field for volume title; not sure where you're seeing that? It has series title, but that's something different.
    If it did (and the corresponding variable existed for citation styles), yes, it should and would appear.
  • Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I have recently changed over from Zotero to Juris-M (because I needed the trailing punctuation systematically suppressed, which Zotero does not seem to accommodate) and have wrongly assumed that the "Volume Title" field I can see in Juris-M also exists in Zotero. My apologies!
  • If you want to use this field, you can of course add it to your style. You'll basically need to add <text variable="volume-title"/> in the appropriate place.
    You can find instructions for style editing here: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step

And feel free to ask in case you need more information or help.
  • Thank you so much for your reply! I am still learning how to use Zotero and I had not realised it can be quite so straightforward to edit your own style. I now know how to get rid of the trailing punctuation in a note as well so I can happily get back to fully using Zotero again.

By the way, I have tested all the well-known reference management programs out there and Zotero is by far and away the best.

Many thanks.
  • edited May 14, 2020
    The basic procedure for editing styles is the same in Juris-M and in Zotero, so no need to switch back.
  • Does this mean that Juris-M and Zotero should always be in lockstep, i.e. any software updates in Zotero will be reflected in Juris-M?
  • Basically yes. Zotero updates find there way into Juris-M on a regular basis, but not always the next day or so. Juris-M is on 5.0.85m3 currently, whereas Zotero is already on 5.0.87.