Zotero library is replaced by empty one after each restart

Hi,

Today I received a question from a student of mine, who recently started to use Zotero. She created a Library and got some references in it, but after restarting Zotero opened with a clean Library. The old Library folder still exists in her user profile, but Zotero just made a fresh 'Zotero' folder and uses that one as a data directory. After renaming the new-made Zotero folder and naming her old Zotero folder as custom data directory location (through preferences), we restarted Zotero again. Zotero simply created another new Zotero folder and changed our default location to the standard one again.

What are we doing wrong?

The university resolver we also added through preferences was restored to the standard worldcat one after restarting as well.

By the way, this happens on a Macbook. Only Zotero was restarted, the Macbook wasn't. Syncing with the cloud is not enabled.

Hope you've got an answer!

Best regards,

Maarten
  • The old Library folder still exists in her user profile, but Zotero just made a fresh 'Zotero' folder and uses that one as a data directory.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. What are the exact paths (you can x out the username) to these folders?
  • Thanks for your answer. I did not hear anything from my student any more, so I guess it is all right now. Maybe time to archive this post?