Cause of automatic (unwanted!) de-duplication across Collections in a Group?

Hi - I'm working with a class that is using one Group with multiple Collections to gather references for an assignment. Everyone in the class has been added to one Group, and then collections have been created for each small group of students to add references to. Because each group of students is working on the same assignment, they are finding some of the same resources.

The issues is -- one student will add a reference to Collection A using the browser connector. Another student will add the same reference to Collection B. After a moment, the reference in Collection B will automatically be moved to the Trash. I was under the impression that there was no automatic de-duplication setting, but perhaps I've missed it? Or is there something else that might be causing it? I've tried replicating the problem with a different group/users and have not been able to do so.

Thanks for your help! Please let me know if there is additional info I can supply.
  • There's no automatic deduplication.

Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for adding an item and having it be moved to the trash?
  • After a moment, the reference in Collection B will automatically be moved to the Trash. I was under the impression that there was no automatic de-duplication setting
    There is indeed no automatic de-deduplication; there is also no automated functionality in Zotero that would ever move an item to the trash. The only way for an item to get to the trash is for a user to explicitly move it there either using move to trash via righ-click menu or via keyboard shortcut.
  • I can see two possible scenarios (short of a bug) that would get this outcome:

1. "same reference" means group B adds the existing reference to collection B, later decides they don't need it, trash it, now group A no longer has it.

2. "same reference" means group B adds a fresh item to their collection, spots it is a duplicate, and rather than merging the duplicates trash the one that group A had entered rather than the new duplicate. Group A now no longer have their reference.