Crash on start-up

When I start Zotero I get the error message below. I'm on Zotero 5.0.77 on macOS 10.14.5. If I click, Upgrade, I get a message that I have the latest version of zotero; if I click on Quit, the program quits. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, figuring I could reload the database via sync but the problem persists. How do I fix the problem?

rror: Error(s) encountered during statement execution: database disk image is malformed [QUERY: DELETE FROM fieldsCombined WHERE fieldID NOT IN (SELECT fieldID FROM itemData)] [PARAMS: ] [ERROR: database disk image is malformed]
Zotero.DBConnection.prototype.queryAsync<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js:670:13
From previous event:
TaskImpl_handleResultValue@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:396:7
TaskImpl_run@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:327:15
TaskImpl@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:277:3
createAsyncFunction/asyncFunction@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:252:14
Task_spawn@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:166:12
ConnectionData.prototype<.executeTransaction/promise</transactionPromise<@resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:593:28
TaskImpl_run@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:319:42
  • Your database is corrupted, which generally happens from having your Zotero data directory in a cloud storage folder or network drive.

You can try to fix it with the DB Repair Tool. If that doesn't work, and your data is all online, you can just delete the zotero.sqlite file (or move it somewhere temporarily for backup) with Zotero closed and then reopen Zotero and sync to pull down your library.
  • Thanks. The data directory was in the default location on my hard drive, without links to a cloud services etc., but I deleted the sql file and sync is working.