citation label change after importing bibtex library

Zotero seems to automatically change the citation label on references after import to Zotero. This is undesirable for me because I am updating a book with 600 references in LaTex and I don't want to change all of the old citation labels (\cite{old_label}). Specifically, if I import a test file with one reference into Zotero:

@article{mcclatchie16,
title = {The influence of {Pacific} {Equatorial} {Water} on fish diversity in the southern {California} {Current} {System}},
volume = {121},
number = {doi:10.1002/2016JC011672},
journal = {Journal of Geophysical Research},
author = {McClatchie, S. and Thompson, A.R. and Alin, S.R. and Siedlecki, S. and Watson, W. and Bograd, S.J.},
year = {2016}
}

the citation label is "mcclatchie16", e.g. (\cite{mcclatchie16} in LaTex). If I now export this test reference as a Bibtex or Biblatex format from Zotero, I get:

@article{mcclatchie_influence_2016,
title = {The influence of {Pacific} {Equatorial} {Water} on fish diversity in the southern {California} {Current} {System}},
volume = {121},
number = {doi:10.1002/2016JC011672},
journal = {Journal of Geophysical Research},
author = {McClatchie, S. and Thompson, A.R. and Alin, S.R. and Siedlecki, S. and Watson, W. and Bograd, S.J.},
year = {2016}
}

Where the citation label has been changed to "mcclatchie_influence_2016".

How do I retain the original citation label?

Thanks, Sam
  • Install the BetterBibTeX add-on which allows for advanced bibtex handling and has functionality to roundtrip bibtex labels:
    https://retorque.re/zotero-better-bibtex/
  • Thanks. This solution worked. I was able to import all (3,288) references with their legacy citation labels, and then add my more recent (44) references which had the default [author][short title][year] citation label format. I changed the default citation label to [author][year] citation label format for further additions.