importing judicial decisions

I'm new to Zotero, and my book has a lot of legal citations. I'm specifically having trouble importing legal decisions. If I open a legal decision in Justia and click on the Zotero button, it saves it as a web page, not as a judicial decision.

Any quick ways to do this so that I don't have to go in and fix each one individually? I'm going to have to add a bunch of these. Perhaps there's a better site to access the decisions so that they will be added to Zotero correctly?
  • Can you give a link to a page that isn’t importing correctly.

Also, if you are doing legal citation, you may way to consider Jurism, a version of Zotero with much expanded legal citation support: https://juris-m.github.io
  • That said, on the import end, there just aren't very many sites for which Zotero or jurism import works well. Unfortunately, few legal sites provide information in any structured form.
  • Okay thanks....Seems like a big opportunity. When Zotero import works, it's a huge time saver.

Here's an example that didn't work:
    https://law.justia.com/cases/tennessee/supreme-court/1993/851-s-w-2d-139-2.html

• I'm also having difficulty with the presentation of the name of the court case. If I put it in the "title" field it presents with quotation marks around it in the note. But if I put the title elsewhere, the reference shows up as blank in my library, so I can't identify it.

And I can't figure out how to get the court case to appear in italics, as required.
  • which citation style are you using?
  • And you have it as a Case in Zotero? That would show up without quotation marks in Chicago footnotes (also not in in italics -- Chicago specifies regular font for legal cases, see 14.276)
  • Oh, thanks....I was conflating two different problems I was having.

Problem 1: I was trying to cite a number of state constitutions, and it puts quotation marks around the name of the document, if I set it up as a "statute" in Zotero. My current workaround is to put the name of the document in the Code Number field.

Problem 2: I was looking at comparable book that I thought were in Chicago style, and they used italics. But it looks like I was wrong about that.

Thank you!
  • I'm not mainly doing legal scholarship so I won't swtich. (I write on ethics so occssionally I need to cite law.)

I noticed pulling it up on Google Schoar (then using the Chrome plugin) imported it as case law not a website while othersites (using the Chrome plugin) were just going to import it as a website. The only thing was that it put the docket number in the date and missed the docket number.