Download problem

Hello everybody,
I have a problem with the installation of Zotero.
After downloading the program from the Zotero side, I dragged the symbol in my Mac application folder. However, when I try to open the program, the Error notification opens `Zotero was started from a disk image, which can break some functionality.
To install Zotero properly, quit the program, open the disk image you downloaded and drag Zotero to the alias of the Application folder`.
So Zotero icon is in my application folder and I open it there, but the Error notification opens every time. I also tried to download it again and updated my Mac, but no improvement.
Has anybody an idea what I am doing wrong?
Thanks for the help!
  • Delete what you dragged to Applications and start again. What you downloaded is a disk image. You need to open that and drag the "Zotero" program from that window to the Applications folder.

From the sound of it, you either dragged the .dmg itself (and are opening it up and double-clicking Zotero in the window that pops up each time) or dragged an alias of the Zotero program within the disk image.
  • If you're still having trouble, go to this page and scroll down to "DMGs and Other Archives: Just Drag and Drop". Most Mac applications outside of the Mac App Store are distributed this way, so any number of sites will explain how to do this.
  • Thank you for your comment. I use Apple for over 5 years, so I am quite accustomed to the Drag and drop principle, and how to install a program in my computer. That's why I am so clueless...
  • I'm not sure what you mean by that. As I say, most Mac applications are installed this way. There's absolutely nothing Zotero-specific here.
  • Yeah, that's why I am really clueless why it's not working. Many of the applications on my computer are installed that way, and I never had a problem like this before.
  • You did one of the two things I said above. There's really no other answer. It's just an application in a disk image.

Note that not all programs warn you when run from the disk image, so it's possible you've installed other programs incorrectly without realizing it and are actually running some programs from disk images.
  • Well, I don't believe so, but stills thanks for your help
  • I had the same issue with a student I was helping and we found this thread so this probably isn't relevant to you anymore but to any others still having this issue, we were getting that message when we clicked on the icon in the dock and we uninstalled and reinstalled and nothing was changing, but when we opened from the applications folder it opened fine. So the dragging seemed to be fine it was just whatever was showing up in the dock that seemed to be the issue.
  • edited November 11, 2019
    @mepear: That means the Zotero app was dragged from the disk image straight to the dock instead of to Applications. When that happens, macOS will automatically reopen the disk image and launch Zotero from there when you click the dock icon, even if you unmount the disk image, and even if you drag the DMG to the trash. (If you actually empty the trash, the dock icon will finally stop working and show a question mark over it.) The fix is to click-and-hold or right-click on the dock icon and select Options → Remove from Dock, and then start Zotero properly from Applications and keep that version in the dock.