How to preserve folders when importing old Zotero bibliography?

I would like to merge two Zotero accounts: I have saved by old Zotero library a few weeks ago (computer doesnt exist any more) and would now like to import this Zotero library (.rdf Format) into my new Zotero library. The new library also contains already many papers so I cannot simply replace the library.

Until now I used the import fuction for "My Bibliography" but the folders of the old zotero library don't show up. The files are just simply linked into one new folder without any subfolders. I have fully done the process for an import in "My Bibliography". I then started the same process in a new "Group Bibliography", but the problem seems to persist (yet I haven't waited until the end, because this would take several hours).

Do you have any hints how I can import the library in rdf-format preserving the folder structure?
  • Zotero RDF should certainly preserve collections, and does for me. When you go to import, are you choosing the "Place imported collections and items into new collection" option?
    I then started the same process in a new "Group Bibliography", but the problem seems to persist (yet I haven't waited until the end, because this would take several hours).
    The subcollections are actually added at the end, so the process does need to fully complete before you'll see those.

If you don't mind sharing the .rdf file, you can email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread and we can take a look. Any attached files aren't necessary.
  • I imported the first file you sent into an empty library in Zotero 5.0.73 and got 1490 top-level items and many collections, including 13 top-level collections.

Do you have the latest version of Zotero? Are you sure it's finishing without an error?

Before trying this again, you should disable auto-sync and make a backup of your Zotero data directory so that you can revert to a previous version easily.
  • Great - thanks a lot for the hints. I tried it with the second version I saved (dont ask me what the difference was) and it worked. I am using 5.0.71 (dont have rights to update), so probably this was also a potential source of error, yet I didnt get any error messages. Anyway, now it works - Thank you for the support.