Feature request: Search items in Subcollection

Thank you for the wonderful tools. Here I have a feature request.

my system: Windows 10. Zotero 5.0.66.

Here is the example scenario:

I added some papers to a collection named as Parent Collection. I then created several offspring collections, say Offspring1 and Offspring2. I moved some papers from Parent Collection to Offspring1 and the remaining to Offspring2. Now the Parent Collection has no papers.

Later I want to search a paper but I am not sure if it is in Offspring1 or Offspring2. So I search in Parent Collection. However, it cannot find anything since there is no paper in the Parent Collection. As we know, in windows, you can search files of subfolders.

Question: Can Zotero support search in subcollections?
Of course, we can search in the whole library, the "MY Library", however, but you need to move from current collection to the "MY Library".

Thank you!
  • You can enable the recursiveCollections hidden pref. (This will be added to a menu in a future version.)
  • Thank you dstillman! The "recursiveCollections" is a nice feature. However, it is not what I want. I usually organize/move my literature into subcollections. And I don't want those organized literature to show up in the parent collection so that I know which have already been filed to the subcollections. The "recursiveCollections" cannot implement this feature.
  • The quick search always searches in the current view, so including subcollections there would be quite unintuitive. Including subcollections is already available as an option in advanced search.
  • Thank you adamsmith. I should have found out it if I explored the "advanced search". It is just what I was looking for. And it is indeed easy to access, just click one button.