Can't get Zotero to work with Word

That's basically the crux of the problem. I've gone through all the following troubleshooting guides, but can't seem to pin point the problem since everything that should be there/checked/etc. seems fine. HELP!

https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#windows
https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation

Not having the add-in work/without the two programs being able to talk to each other basically makes it useless for citations.
  • What exactly is the problem?

See Reporting Problems for the kind of report we need.
  • Well, for starters, Zotero is not in the ribbon.
  • OK, so see https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#zotero_tab_does_not_appear_in_the_word_ribbon, and let us know everything you try and everything that happens at each step.
  • I have done all of that. While going through everything, the only inconsistency I noticed is that the program files for Zotero don't seem to include an installation folder, nor can I find the Zotero.dotm file (however, I can find it when I look through word add-ins, where it also appears to be in the start folder).
  • Also, I don't see the dotm file under the developer tab.
  • It says word add-ins, but no dotm file.
  • All of those other things I've either tried, or they were already present/set correctly, as far as I can tell.
  • We really need you to say what you're trying step by step and what's happening. Just saying you've tried everything isn't enough.
    the program files for Zotero don't seem to include an installation folder
    Where exactly are you looking, and what exactly aren't you seeing?
  • Zotero version says 5.0.60
  • OS is Windows 10.
  • edited March 8, 2019
    If you're referring to https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation#word_for_windows and don't see an 'install' folder at C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install, you should uninstall and reinstall Zotero, since it means something is wrong with your installation.
  • I also tried turning off anti-virus/malware software.
  • Okay, I saw that, but I'm nervous about doing that. How can I make sure all of my information is definitely safe before trying? Everything else works with Zotero as far as I can tell (and the word plugin always worked, too, I'm not sure what has happened since to change that).
  • Uninstalling Zotero doesn't affect your data, but to be extra sure you can just make a copy of your Zotero data directory.
  • If you want to do anything step by step please at least tell me where to start. It's very difficult to describe every possible thing one has to do.
  • Okay, let me see how to make a copy.
  • Am I supposed to uninstall and reinstall? I thought one of those troubleshooting guides said you just reinstall without getting rid of the previous version.
  • In your situation, you should uninstall and reinstall.
  • Is it okay to use a program like Revo to uninstall?
  • No, you should use Zotero's uninstaller.
  • Okay, well it will take me some time to figure out how to back up everything with GoodSync to my Dropbox, and then do the uninstall/reinstall. Can I come back to this thread if I have a problem?
  • edited March 8, 2019
    Of course. But you don't need to use any third-party tools to do this. Making a backup is as simple as copying the Zotero data directory somewhere — Dropbox or just your desktop — and then uninstalling Zotero from the Windows 10 settings, and then reinstalling it from the download page.

You can also just try reinstalling Zotero. There's no harm in that, and if you're finding this difficult you should try that before spending a lot of time on this. Something — likely security software — just corrupted your installation, so a new install is the thing to try.
  • Sorry, I just said it that way because it occurs to me that maybe I should just always have a back up (and I may as well take care of it at the same time). GoodSync allows one way or two way back ups in real time (it's what I use for everything else important) so maybe it would be good for Zotero, too. But, yes, I can just make the copy, too, and go from there. Thank you for your help.