Storage Folders

Please clarify Storage folders. Are they located on a Zotero server or on our local computers? Thank you.

• Your computer, within the Zotero data directory.
  • edited March 5, 2019
    What you see as folders are not akin to file system directories but more like (iTunes) music play lists. Zotero records' metadata is/are located on your computer and when you sync also stored on the Zotero "server" (actually, AWS cloud, I think). Attachments such as pdf files are held on your computer and can optionally be stored with your metadata online. The "folders" called "collections" are a means organizing your library of records. Any single item can be in any one or more collections. Items may remain unfiled -- that is, you do not need to have every record in a collection. [However, unfiled items will automatically be visible in the unfiled items collection.]

If you were asking where Zotero and its data are stored on your hard drive directory structure. That is a different issue.
  • Thanks. I was referring to the 'storage' as in the 'unlimited storage' which I pay for. I assume the limits or unlimited refers to available storage on Zotero servers for sync. From your comments it seems that all data is stored in the user/Zotero directory locally and duplicated in folders in Zotero server(s) (aka 'online').

I do understand that the library folders are a different form of organization and appreciate the clarification.
  • I assume the limits or unlimited refers to available storage on Zotero servers for sync. From your comments it seems that all data is stored in the user/Zotero directory locally and duplicated in folders in Zotero server(s) (aka 'online').
    That's exactly right, yes.