Lost collection

Hi, one of my collections suddenly disappeared. It was called Risk Management and it had about 5 or 6 subcollections. It was there this morning but when I checked about 30 minutes ago, it was gone. I have it synced with the zotero account and it's lost there too. I followed the steps in the FAQ and managed to load an automatic backup but it's too old. I lost about half a day of work sorting out sources. Is there something that I can do to fix it?

Thank you.

Oliver
  • Nevermind, I couldn't wait so I re-did the whole work. Hopefully, it won't happen again in the future. The frustration was real. :)
  • There's still a Risk Management collection with multiple subcollections in your online library, all created before you posted here. You should see it at https://www.zotero.org/oliversvolik/items/collectionKey/KMSAFM3M.
  • The Risk Management collection and I think about 2 subcollections with a few sources were renewed from the backup but the rest was created by me after I posted. The timestamp of my post has to be from the point it was approved (since I'm a new user). I submited the post around 11. Anyway, thankfully the collection was only one day old so I was able to recreate it pretty quickly. Thank you for checking tho.
  • Ah, OK — yes, timestamps for moderated posts show the time of approval.

For what it's worth, your account log shows three deleted collections at 09:40 UTC, and one more yesterday. We don't store the names of deleted collections, so I don't know if those are related. But if the collections had synced, it would have to be one of those.

If they hadn't synced, one possibility would be that you somehow reverted to an earlier version of the database that didn't contain recent changes. I don't suppose you have your Zotero data directory in a cloud storage folder such as Dropbox?

A few people have reported a problem — which we haven't been able to reproduce — where collections show up more than once in the left-hand pane and they then delete what appear to be duplicates, only to realize that it was a visual bug and they had deleted the original collection. It doesn't sound like that happened in your case, though.