Zotero not working with firefox latest, also need keyboard shortcut assistance

I get the following error message while trying to install firefox addon:
[JavaScript Error: "Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
Zotero.Messaging</this.init/Zotero[ns][meth]</<@moz-extension://11258a58-112f-4bf2-bf4a-a857bdff62e1/messaging_inject.js:73:14
" {file: "[object Object]"}]

[JavaScript Error: "Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
Zotero.Messaging</this.init/Zotero[ns][meth]</<@moz-extension://11258a58-112f-4bf2-bf4a-a857bdff62e1/messaging_inject.js:73:14

I was previously using chrom extension, but had to uninstall chrom all together since it froze my windows 10 system. Zotero was working perfect then with chrom.
Also, I'm a blind user, hence need to know if shortcuts Control+shift+s and Z are still working with firefox. Please assist...
  • edited January 29, 2019
    See Troubleshooting Translator Errors.

Ctrl+Shift+S is still the shortcut to save. Ctrl-Shift-Z was the shortcut to open the Zotero pane in Firefox, but the current version of Zotero is a standalone program, so you would switch to that the way you would switch to any other program (for example, by using Alt-Tab). The Firefox extension now works the same as the Chrome extension.

You can choose the collection to save to from the popup that appears on the webpage when you save, though I'm not sure how accessible that is, so choosing the collection in Zotero first may work better for you.
  • I removed and reinstalled the firefox connector, still its showing the same error when I press Control+shift+S.
    I've submitted a debug report with following ID:
    D1777123250.
    I've also submitted an error report with following ID

regarding shortcuts, Its quite accessible to select the collection after pressing Control+Shift+S, its read out by NVDA as a combo box list. If its a single item, its just enough to select the collection and hit enter, its saved. But one should not select and then press tab for reaching the OK/Save button, that resulted in the saving of wrong metadata for me with chrome. I will update how these work with firefox once this problem gets right...
    thank you.
  • Those IDs are from Zotero. For this sort of problem we'd need a Debug ID from the Zotero Connector for loading a page and trying to save it.

But first, you'll want to make sure you've tried absolutely everything on the Troubleshooting Translator Errors page, since there's essentially nothing else to suggest beyond what's there if it's a general problem and not a problem with a specific site.
  • I think I've tried everything suggested there as far as I could:
    1. Zotero connector is shown in the firefox adon list, and sinking is also established.
    2. I tried with Amazon product page, its not working still.
    3. Zotero for windows is installed (and I reinstalled both software and firefox connector several times).
    4. Zotero is up-to-date.
    5. I have the latest browser: 64.0.2, Firefox Release January 9, 2019
    6. I have latest 5.0 version only.
    7. Saving fails across all sites,, hence not applicable.
    8. I couldn't locate the save button after pressing the save shortcut, but it appeared with chrome. Since I'm using screen-reader, the button isn't keyboard accessible without shortcut.
    9. The option to block third-party cookies isn't checked in options>privacy settings, hence cookies aren't blocked.
    10. Zotero is the only firefox adon I have installed right now.
    11. There's no option to reset translators in Zotero, but I could do it with firefox connector. Still it remains the same.

Hence giving the details as given in step 12:
    URL:
    https://www.amazon.in/I-Am-Vidya-Transgenders-Journey/dp/8129123983/ref=sr_1_3_twi_pap_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548820620&sr=8-3&keywords=i+am+vidya
    Debug ID:
    D2121040921
    Error report ID:
    It says nothing about where it's going to save,.
    Couldn't locate the name of the translator, don't know if its applicable for me.
  • edited January 30, 2019
    That Debug ID doesn't include anything for loading the page or trying to save. Can you try again? Be sure to start debug output logging, load the page, try the save, and then immediately submit the output.

There's an option to reset translators in the Files and Folders tab of the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences, and you should do that first, and then do the same again in the Zotero Connector preferences.
  • Yes, I missed the reset translators option last time. Found it now, but of no use. Submitted a new debug report:
    D782036836
    Please see if this time its correct...
  • I'm afraid the debug output still isn't showing a reload of the page or a save attempt. You need to be sure to do those things after starting debug output logging.

For the actual saving, we'd still want to see the debug output to say more, but it's possible the shortcut key isn't working for you. It seems like, for some people on Windows and Linux, Ctrl+Shift+S triggers part of Firefox's developer tools instead of the Zotero shortcut. You can check whether there's a pane opening at the bottom of the window when you press Ctrl-Shift-S.

In Firefox 66, which will be released in March and is currently available in beta, Mozilla is improving support for keyboard shortcuts, including the ability to customize the shortcuts assigned to extensions. And at least in my testing, Zotero's shortcut properly overrides the built-in shortcut in Firefox 66, so you can try that if you're having trouble with the current version.
  • well, its frustrating for both!
    I'm presently installing the beata version you suggested. Meanwhile, yes, there's the developper console opening for the shortcut. But Zotero shortcut is suppose to override the firefox shortcut in this version too. Also, there are other Zotero options which used to appear when I pressed the application (right click substitute) key. That's also not shown. I'll get back to you after installing the firefox beata. I would have gone back to Chrome for this much of hassles, but its all determined to freeze my system when I reinstall and open the chrome browser!
  • Yes, Zotero connector works fine with firefox developer version,! So it should be the shortcut issue...
    After pressing Control+Shift+S, Screen-reader users , especially NVDA users, should go to the botom of the screen (control+End) for getting the Zotero saving options read out. collections are listed as combo box, and the collection selected in the Zotero application is selected by default. One should not change it there, should change only with the zotero software, for doing so resulted in wrong saving. Also, one should not press the done button below, should instead press the unlabled button just below the collection combo box. Pressing that button would place the cursor into the collection combo box, should press enter key from there. Please note that what I describe here is screen-reader layout, not visual display.

Thanks so much for your time and trouble dear dstillman...
  • When you say changing the collection in the save popup resulted in "wrong saving", what do you mean? That should certainly work.

We'll fix that unlabeled button. That's a disclosure button to open the collections list in the popup.

Basically, the way this works, at least visually, is that there's a drop-down menu in the collapsed save popup with collections you recently saved to, and you can press the disclosure button or select "Moreā€¦" from the drop-down to expand the save popup. The expanded view shows the full collections tree, including group libraries, and a field for entering tags. There's also a Done button, but that doesn't do anything other than close the pane immediately instead of waiting a few seconds. When you select a collection from either the drop-down or the full collections tree, the changes are made in Zotero immediately, and if you switch back to Zotero you should find that the selected collection has changed and the new item is selected in the middle pane within that collection.

If your experience with a screen reader is different from that, let us know and we'll see what we can do.
  • Now I'm getting it in that way, the collection changed in the popup menu was reflecting in Zotero even earlier, but the item was saved just like it would do for sites without proper metadata. Now its doing correct, there might have been some network or other issue last evening.

For the screen reader, the collection list is displayed both as a selectable combo box just above the unlabled button, and as a treeview just below it. Both are quite accessible.

The button can perhaps be labled "select collection Button", for "disclosure" may not be all that clear.

the Tag edit box is also accessible, one should press tab key from the collection combo box for going to the tag box and to the "done button".

Pressing "done Button" ones saved the item for me, but remains silent afterwards.

Also, for the first time I opened the Zotero save pane, NVDA screen reader landed the cursor straight into the collection combo box, but I had to go to the botom of the page for finding the popup options on my own afterwards.

saving multiple items seems more simple since the items appear as check boxes.

I will also report to the NVDA developers for some more improvement in navigation, but surely its quite workable with Zotero even now using NVDA!