Zotero and Microsoft stopped working. Installation could not be completed because an error occurred.

Hello,

I haven't been able to find an answer for this.

I've been using Zotero for well over a year now and out of the blue the integration with Microsoft Word (Version 16.20- Build 181208) has stopped (Zotero is no longer in the ribbon).

I went over to Zotero (5.0.59 - latest update) and tried to re-install from the zotero =>Preferences => Cite => Word Processors => Install Microsoft Word Add-in, but get the following error

Installation could not be completed because an error occurred.

[Exception... "The file Zotero.dotm couldn't be opened because there is no such file. @[installContainerTemplate:install.m:269]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js :: checkStatus :: line 217" data: no]

Can anyone help me get Zotero and Word to play nice again?

Thanks
  • Are you running Zotero from a disk image? (You should see a warning at startup when you are.) If so, be sure to copy Zotero to the Applications folder before starting it.

If not, reinstall Zotero from the download page, drag the application to Applications, and try again.