Error when supressing author name in citation in Word

edited August 21, 2018
Hey there,

for months I have gotten the error

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document. The range cannot be deleted. [setText:field.cpp]"

when I try to insert a citation with the author name suppressed and no page numbers available (like in an online newspaper article).
Using Word from Office 365.

Any ideas on how to fix that are greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Julia
  • Does it work in a new document?
  • edited August 21, 2018
    Well, played around a little bit. I don't understand why, but it works when you opt to automatically update citations in the preferences.
    As I work with large documents, I have gotten into the habit of refreshing manually to simply safe time. Do you think there is any other way to have it work without the automatic update?
  • Are you sure it does not work in a new document, even with automatic updates enabled? Does it only break if you disable automatic updates in a new document?
  • What I did to test if it works in a new doc: opened a new doc, clicked on "add/edit new citation", preferences came up, I disabled automatic update. Typed author's name in quick format citation, chose an article to cite from drop down menu, clicked on surpressing author, pressed enter - ta da, error comes up.
    Not sure if your second question asks if the error only comes up if I enable automatic updates after I added a quotation and not right at the beginning?! Well, if I insert a first citation in a new document with automatic updates activated, all is fine. When I then enable automatic updates and try to insert a second quotation, the error happens.
  • What specific version of Word are you? I cannot reproduce on a 32-bit Word 16.0.10325.20082. Have you tried updating?
  • 64-bit Word 16.0.10730.20030
    no updates available :(
  • The error only occurs when there is nothing to "display" as citation. If I put a page number, a pre- or suffix and supress the author's name, everything is fine.
    Not sure if that is of help, still wanted to share.
  • So this is MLA style? Can you confirm that it doesn't happen with other styles like APA that include a year?
  • Yes and yes. I'm using MLA. With APA it works as it should, I guess; the year is displayed in brackets.
  • So this is a problem without a simple solution. Suppressing author in MLA-like styles would inevitably produce invalid and possibly document-corrupting citations unless they require disambiguation. The reasons for why you are getting that error with automatic updates disabled and not with updates enabled are a bit technical and not relevant to the more general issue: inserting empty citations should not be allowed and attempting to do that should display a prompt or insert placeholder text like "Empty Citation" or "N/A".

A placeholder in the case of disabled automatic updates is probably better.
  • @julia%2Etiemann For now your best bet is to use APA while writing with disabled updates and switch to MLA before submission.
  • Ok, what a pity! But of course thank you so much for looking into it! Really appreciate Zotero and this community here nevertheless :)
    Unfortunately, I have quite a lot of citations where I mention the author's name in the text and there are no page numbers or anything...so I will try APA and hope for the best when switching.
  • @julia.tiemann You really shouldn't be inserting MLA citations with author suppressed unless you need disambiguate papers. You won't be able to edit those, since it's impossible to place the cursor in them, and if an error ever occurs in updating the document, these empty citations would produce additional confusion.
  • edited August 21, 2018
    This is another reason why having only "suppress author" is a bad solution to the problem discussed here:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5282/multiple-in-text-citation-patterns

I assume that @julia.tiemann is using this approach in order to (1) avoid parentheses, and (2) still add the reference to the bibliography.

We aren't supposed to manually edit the cites, but also can't automatically create one without parentheses.

A "suppress parentheses" (e.g., cite-prefix-and-suffix) option would solve this, as would the proposal I've been advocating in that thread: name-only cites.

--

If you desperately want an awkward solution to this, you could try my approach here:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/73159/announcing-zoterzero-for-author-only-cites
    It would require rewriting the macro search/replace a bit, so that for MLA just the parentheses are removed from around the name, but that's relatively easy to do.

However, speaking as someone using that solution now, I'd instead recommend @adomasven 's suggestion of temporarily using APA, if that works for you. It will work more smoothly and require less effort from you (especially to set up).

Note: since not all of the background is explained above, I should clarify that my comments here most relevantly only apply if you actually need name-only (implying "empty") cites, rather than, for example, name plus a page number in parentheses.
  • edited August 21, 2018
    @djross3 Uncited items can be included in bibliography by using the Edit Bibliography dialog. Allowing name-only cites is irrelevant to the issue of suppress author producing empty cites with MLA. Please do not derail discussions.
  • edited August 21, 2018
    I do not believe the comment is off topic. The key is why empty cites were being used in the first place. Literally, in themselves, empty cites are useless, right? But see:
    I have quite a lot of citations where I mention the author's name in the text and there are no page numbers or anything...
    I admit I'm reading between the lines, but that's now I interpret this situation.

Sorry if I've misinterpreted the conversation here!

--
    Replying to edit:
    Uncited items can be included in bibliography by using the Edit Bibliography dialog.
    That's awkward though because they don't trace back to a location in the original paper, so you Zotero's extremely helpful citation/bibliography matching functionality no longer works.

Yes, the simplest solution here would be to just add those papers via Edit Bibliography, but it wouldn't associated them with particular sentences, as @julia.tiemann seems to be trying to do. (Still might be the better solution at the moment, given technical limitations. But those limits are specifically that name-only cites are not allowed.)
  • edited August 21, 2018
    @djross3 thanks for your enthusiasm and the many tips hinted at.
    Sorry if their are some ambiguities in my line of reasoning; as a non-native speaker of English it's sometimes hard to express myself clearly, especially in this field of software programming I barely have any knowledge of - sorry :)
    The thing is, I remember back when I was writing my master's thesis in 2012, it was no problem to have "empty citations". I would refer to the author in text, and as it was the only work from that author I was citing in the whole document and there were no page numbers since it was an online article, I would supress the author so that the work still comes up in the works cited list. Since I was doing this in MLA style, there wouldn't be a year or something else. In text, no empty parantheses were coming up, just a grey single space when you went over it with the cursor. Quite genius and elegant, if you ask me. Never had any problems with that back then, so to me as an unkowing end-user, it's just annoying that this action creates error pop-ups now (:
  • What is more, @adomasven, back in 2012, it was possible to edit the "empty citations", since it would get grey if you placed the cursor on it (and usually, you would know where you put the citation in the first place, that is at the end of the sentence).
  • edited August 21, 2018
    I'm glad my comments were helpful. (We're in similar situations, at least indirectly.)

Yes, that's exactly what I thought you were trying to do. Unfortunately there isn't a perfect way to do it.

The simplest is to do what @adomasven said in the last reply above: add uncited references in "Edit Bibliography".

But I completely agree with you it would be great to have more options available to cite things in text. I have no idea what changed, but I also agree with @adomasven that now using "empty" cites is not a good/reliable method, so I hope one of the alternative suggestions above works for you!
  • edited August 21, 2018
    While I generally have a problem with how we use "uncited references" here, since to me, they are not uncited, just cited in-text (which is a major component of how MLA works), adding uncited references manually through "Edit Bibliography" would also mean to manually keep track of every uncited reference elsewhere, like in a word document, wouldn't it? This sounds painfully unproductive and quite inelegant if you're writing a 300+pages thesis :(
  • Correct. (And I agree.)
  • @julia.tiemann I would recommend that, for the time being, you insert the citations normally (without any suppression), and delete the parentheses manually. When Zotero prompts if you want to keep your changes, click Yes.
  • Beware that will prevent Zotero from updating them if you have any changes to the entries in Zotero though!

But that's no worse than your approach in 2012, if you were just typing the names out then anyway.

(A more flexible solution requires something like the macro in my linked answer above, but it's technically complex to set up, so I don't recommend it unless this is especially important to you. On the other hand, you like me are writing a long dissertation, so maybe it is.)