Including Subcategory entries in parent Category

My Zotero, like I'm assuming many others, is heavily organized with folders and subfolders and yes, sub-sub-folders (thank you for this feature!).

I was wondering if there was any way to automatically include entries that appear in subcategores in the main category.

For example:

CATEGORY 1
SUB-CATEGORY 1 (includes a, b, c)
SUB-CATEGORY 2 (includes d, e, f)
SUB-SUB-CATEGORY 1 (includes g, h, i)
SUB-CATEGORY 3 (includes j, k, l).

It would be great if when I clicked on CATEGORY 1, I could see ALL the entries that appear in that folder and in its subfolders (a-l), and that when I click on SUB-CATEGORY 2, that I could see d, e, f as well as g, h, i.

Is there a way to do this other than to manually drag items into the parent folder periodically (and risk duplicates, etc...)? Would this be useful for anyone else?
  • set the recursiveCollections hidden preference to true:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/hidden_preferences

I think there are plans to make this more visible, but some UI issues related to that.

(Just to make sure you're understanding how collections work, though, they are _not_ folders and dragging an item to another collection does _not_ create a duplicate: it stores the same item in both collections)
  • That's perfect! Thanks for letting me know that.

And thanks for the clarification, that's great. I don't want duplicates, I'd be happy to just have the same item stored in multiple locations.