Moving / deleting items with drag and drop

I'm just wondering how you delete an item from its original folder when you have dragged and dropped it to another folder you want it in instead.

What is happening is that if I decide to move an item to another sub collection, I drag it to where I want it to be. But what seems unusual is that the item moves to the new collection but a copy stays in the original one.

But when you then delete it from the original one (using either 'move item to trash' or 'remove item from collection') it then deletes it from both, which doesn't seem logical.

Is there a way to delete the unwanted item and keep the new one?

Thanks
  • It's important to keep in mind that Zotero collections are not like folders on your computer, but more like playlists in a music program. A single item can belong to many collections. So what you are seeing is not a "copy" of the item, but rather the same item in multiple collections. If you remove an item from one collection, it will still be in any other collections (if you move the item to the trash, though, it will be removed from all of its collections).

You can "move" an item between collections when dragging (so that it is removed from the original collection, rather than the default of being a member of both collections) by holding down Shift as you drag.
  • Ok I see, thanks for that.
  • Sorry do you know what it is on a Mac? I just tried command, option, control and up arrow but none of them seemed to work.
  • Sorry, Cmd on Mac.
  • Ok got it thanks