Zotero Connector not working with Firefox ESR 52 and uMatrix

edited February 14, 2018
Are there known extension conflicts for Zotero Connector?

Zotero Connector has ceased to work for me on Firefox ESR 52.6.0. (http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping always reports success.) I suspect it has something to do with the extensions I have installed (e.g., uBlock Origin, uMatrix, Cookie Autodelete). It would be nice to know what precisely is causing the problem.

I'm probably going to keep the extensions since they're essential. I miss Zotero though.
  • Does it work with the other extensions disabled?
  • uMatrix sounds like a culprit from its extension page description, but it should allow you to add exceptions for 127.0.0.1 and/or 127.0.0.1:23119.
  • It's uMatrix. I've added exceptions for 127.0.0.1 and verified that those exceptions are in the "permanent rules". Still doesn't work.

So whitelisting is not working for me with uMatrix. I suppose that's the bug report.
  • Current versions of uMatrix don't appear to even be compatible with 52 ESR.
  • I'm using the most recent version compatible with ESR, uMatrix 1.0.0.
  • I'm afraid we can't help you with this, since this isn't a bug in Zotero.

Best I can tell you is to try the latest non-ESR Firefox and an up-to-date version of uMatrix.
  • No problem. I'm fine with ESR not being supported with uMatrix. I suspected as much.

Thanks for all your hard work on this project.
  • edited April 6, 2018
    I get this WorldCat issue with FF 59.0.2 and µMatrix 1.3.4.

Here's my Report ID: 865222342
    and the output of sort -u of my debug output:

"]
    " {file: "[object Object]"}]
    [JavaScript Error: "doc.body is null
    [JavaScript Error: "Frame not found, or missing host permission" {file: "undefined"}]
    [JavaScript Error: "Invalid tab ID: 138" {file: "chrome://browser/content/ext-browser.js"}]
    [JavaScript Error: "Invalid tab ID: 148" {file: "chrome://browser/content/ext-browser.js"}]
    [JavaScript Error: "Invalid tab ID: 196" {file: "chrome://browser/content/ext-browser.js"}]
    [JavaScript Error: "Invalid tab ID: 202" {file: "chrome://browser/content/ext-browser.js"}]
    [JavaScript Error: "Invalid tab ID: 218" {file: "chrome://browser/content/ext-browser.js"}]
    [JavaScript Error: "translators[0] is undefined
    @moz-extension://0ad830a5-98bb-46bc-9e3a-9798c1eb169d/inject/inject.js:49:3
    Zotero.Inject
    inject.js:49:3:
    Zotero.ProgressWindow.show();
    inject.js:382:10:
    while (translators[0].translatorID != translatorID) {
    messaging_inject.js:109:11:
    return _messageListeners[request[0]](request[1]).catch(function(err) {
    progressWindow.js:239:3:
    doc.body.appendChild(container);
    promise.js:34:14:
    var val = fn.apply(this, arguments);
  • You will have to ensure µMatrix is not blocking any of the requests being made by the connector. This is 127.0.0.1:23119 for saving to Zotero, but the connector also makes requests to retrieve items that it saves, which depend on the website you are on.
  • @adomasven I have no issues saving to Zotero with other translators when µMatrix is enabled. My issue is specific to Open WorldCat.
  • I figured it out by using µMatrix's logger. This rule has to be added to µMatrix:
    behind-the-scene worldcat.org xhr allow