Error with Synchronisation - nslZipWriter - ID:1302214509

Lately I get the following error: (ID 1302214509)

"An error occurred during syncing:
Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIZipWriter.open]"

I use the current version 5.0.34 on Win10 at the office.
Looking on my webdav drive shows that the latest files are NOT on the server.

Any Idea?
Helps a reinstallation?

What I also saw: I could not install pdftotext directly.
It sais, Zotero not availabe.
Is this related?
  • Could you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a sync that produces this error?
  • Done:
    Submitted with Debug ID D1033518472
  • Have you uploaded files on this computer before?

Something is preventing Zotero from creating a temporary ZIP file to upload. This isn't specific to the files in question — the error is happening when it tries to create the empty ZIP file.

I'd guess that it's security software on the system that's preventing this, so you might try temporarily disabling that if possible. Assuming you can create attachments, I can't really think of any reason why you wouldn't be able to create a ZIP file, unless a ZIP file is on a list of disallowed file types for security concerns (which would be rather over-broad).

For PDF tools, that's quite likely the same reason, but the next version of Zotero will come with the tools bundled, so that problem should go away soon.
  • Thanks for the really fast reply!

I am using Zotero on this computer for a long time.
    I could also migrate from Win7 to Win10 without any (major) problems.
    Till last week everything happened correctly - including up- and downloads.

I'll try to remove the current installation completely, keep my local data, and try to set it up newly.
    Lets see what is happening.
  • Update:
    The complete reinstallation did NOT change the behaviour.

Fun Fact: (actually its a new BUG!)
    The deinstallation did NOT remove the zotero user profile, despite the fact that I used the checkbox "remove user profile".

I'll await the new zotero version and hope that will help.
  • edited January 18, 2018
    The new version won't do anything about your ZIP file problem. It just has bundled PDF tools, so it won't be affected by whatever on your system is currently blocking Zotero's ability to download and install the tools. So you'll still need to figure out what's preventing the ZIP files from being created (which might require talking to your IT department).
    The deinstallation did NOT remove the zotero user profile, despite the fact that I used the checkbox "remove user profile".
    Not totally sure what you mean here. I haven't tested it lately, but that option wouldn't delete your library data in 5.0, since the data directory is no longer stored within the Zotero profile directory. It should clear settings (e.g., sync settings), however.
  • [quote] It should clear settings (e.g., sync settings), however. [/quote]

However, it did not.

Thats, what I wanted to say.
    (Sorry for my not clear - not native - English.)
  • It does for me. That option removes the entire Profiles directory.
  • Ok, than I really have to talk to my IT department.
    Maybe the installer has no writing permission to user pofile.
    Hopefully, they can help me with the zip-profile.

Thanks for your help.