Everything is broken with update

Hi Zotero,
A few days ago it seems that Zotero updated to version 5 (without my knowledge) and installed the Word plugin. I haven't been able to use Zotero properly since and I'm in the final stages of getting two papers ready for publication.

I'm now using Zotero 5.0.34 and Microsoft Word for Mac 16.9 (180109).

I'll try to describe in detail the problems that I've found:

* I can't edit any citations. Sometimes it will come up with the Zotero dialog box but then close immediately and sometimes it will say:
'Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @[prepareReadFieldCode:document.m:205]'
Steps to reproduce:
I click on the citation that I wish to edit and then I click on the 'Add/Edit Citation' button.

* Sometimes new citations are saved as fields and sometimes they aren't. I have 'Field Shading' set to 'Always' but some of the new citations that I've done aren't shaded.

* The refresh button doesn't seem to do anything.

* I can't add citations in footnotes that already exist.

Here is a report ID: 1796943441

Please let me know if you need any more information. I didn't choose to update and I'm extremely frustrated by this. It couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Rob
  • Nothing changed recently. Zotero 5 has been out for months, and it's still a manual upgrade (i.e., that you have to confirm) coming from Zotero Standalone 4.0.

Start here: Debugging Broken Documents
  • Hi - thanks for the reply.
    I had a look at the 'Debugging broken documents' section but I don't think that it can help because the same problem is happening for new documents.

Steps to reproduce:
    * Create New Document.
    * Type some text.
    * Add citation
    (Zotero adds the citation but it is not highlighted as a field)
    * I click in the footnote and click 'Add/Edit Citation'
    (Zotero comes up with the dialogue box but it instantly disappears)
    * I highlight the whole citation and click 'Add/Edit Citation'

It gives me:
    'Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
    The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @[insertFieldRaw:document.m:1321]'

Does that error message help diagnose the problem?
  • edited January 13, 2018
    16.9 is an Insider build of Word for Mac, which has been causing lots of problems for people. You'll want to downgrade to the latest stable release, currently 15.41.
  • OK - thanks.
    I've downloaded the old build of Word and things seem to be working.
    I appreciate your help.